628: Stream Deck Power Users

Using Streamdeck for awhile, but definitely need to get more out of it! Anyone know if there’s a way to bring up a Safari Tab group directly. I guess I could make a macro with KB Maestro, but wondering if there’s any easier way?

“Hack Attack!”

3 Likes

That’s generally been the key for me. Not “Insert Text By Pasting” but this:

%CurrentClipboard% works for me.

I just installed it on a 2015 iMac. Not sure where you see the M1 requirement?

This bit on the Mac App Store page (Text Sniped):

Compatibility

Mac
Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a
Mac with Apple M1 chip.

iPad
Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.

===========
I wonder if that is for running an iPad app on a Mac, and not a requirement that to use the iPad app a M1 Mac is needed.

Firing up the old iPad …

Yes, I think that’s for running the iPad app on a Mac. The companion software that runs on the Mac is called Metaserver. You download it from their website. I have no issue running Metaserver on a 2015 intel iMac. Hope this works for you!

The Spacket giveth and the Spacket taketh away.

2 Likes

I like the SF Symbols idea, but I have no idea how to extract and create an icon. Whenever I try to manually extract a symbol from the SF Symbols app, I end up with a large image with lots of different versions.
Is there any way to do this automatically in as few steps as possible? Seems like this should be simple with Imagemagick or something…

All included in this app: 628: Stream Deck Power Users - #6 by davemacdo

1 Like

Can confirm! Easy peasy :slight_smile:

Another vote for Button Creator! I learned about this app a couple of months ago through John Voorhees at MacStories and it’s become my go-to solution for creating Stream Deck buttons.

For example, many of the icons for my “Home” profile were created using Button Creator:

Conveniently, Button Creator makes it easy to make use of SF Symbols, Emojis, and your own images. Text can be added to the button and the image size, colour, and background can easily be customized.

4 Likes

I will not buy a Stream Deck.
I will not buy a Stream Deck.
I do not need a Stream Deck.

17 Likes

So which one did you order?

9 Likes

No one needs a stream deck. But the buttons, they are so shiny…

4 Likes

What!? These things mate? Really? …

1 Like

This episode made me want a Stream Deck so much. Only problem is that I’d need a Mac first. I’ve been working exclusively off my ipad since I got it a few years ago. Maybe it’s time.

1 Like

It doesn’t require an M1 Mac. Used V1 and now V2 on Intel MacBook Pros.

Yep. As you can see from this post easier in the thread, yodatucker and I realized that this is an iOS app that can be run on Si Macs, hence the ‘requires M1 Mac’ in the Mac App Store Compatibility Requirements.

Thanks for confirming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, there’s something “TL;DR” about this thread. :slight_smile:

But it shows the interest in StreamDeck. :slight_smile:

(I must be coming up on 5 years of using StreamDeck for Mac Automation.)

The green circle with the white checkmark that confirms a button press (for example of a Multi Action Switch) annoys me a lot.

(How) Can I disable this feedback?

1 Like