628: Stream Deck Power Users

Enter this door to go to “a galaxy far far away”

Best $4 I’ve spent in awhile.

1 Like

:joy:

So far my inner cheapskate is winning over my inner tinkerer. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I was reciting the third verse as I clicked the “Buy” button, thinking what a nice affordance the Stream Deck provides my keyboard shortcuts and scripts.

Affordance sounds so much better than toy, right…?

2 Likes

A tinkerer always finds his/her way.

Keep us posted!

2 Likes

I know that Stephen Millard’s site Thought Asylum and the generator of icons were both mentioned on the show (and the blog linked in the show notes), but I thought I’d provide two links from his blog which are both really helpful:

Some other icons I use are those from Josh Hughes, intended for OmniFocus 3 Perspectives:

Personally, I’m getting on really well with the Stream Deck Pedal, though I am still tweaking how I use it!

I forgot to mention, there are a few other apps I use for icons:

These are also on SetApp:

10 Likes

great collection. I would add the Macstories icons to the list. Both their Shortcut and Perspective icons are of great quality and work exceptionally well on Stream Deck.

3 Likes

I second the macstories icons.

I use several (free) iOS Glyph Icons from Icons8.

2 Likes

This seems like there’s an easy solution that I’m just missing, but…

Is there a way to have the stream deck put text on the clipboard? I want to paste it myself but when I press the button I want specific text ready to go.

Using KeyBoard Maestro certainly possible. Set up “Copy Selected Text” script and bind it to a Stream Deck button

I’m loving my Stream Deck, but I’m having an issue I don’t know how to deal with: Text Expander Snippets-when I type the TE snippets into the SD program, they expand. That’s fine for ones without variables, but some that I want to use do (like my insert date and time stamp. Can’t figure out how to make that work.

I like the idea of the Stream Deck, but wasn’t sure about spending the money on it without experimenting with the concept first. So I thought I would try the Stream Deck app… Meh. It wasn’t a great experience and given that it only works on the iPhone it really isn’t intended for a desk-top installation.

I had an older iPad Pro lying around and that is what I imagined I could turn into a “stream deck”. I found Touch Portal and started playing with it. It absolutely works as advertised. So well in fact, I have lost interest in Stream Deck. Touch Portal can can work with a lot of different platforms, apps and devices (including Hue lights/bridges). What it doesn’t work with can be accessed through Better Touch Tool or Keyboard Maestro. I have multiple screens that I can access from a “main” screen; I really like how the screens can be quickly referenced - gone is the need for me to remember a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. I am doing app control, system control, window sizing and context changing with Touch Portal. Icons can be attached to the “buttons” on each control screen. When I get an idea for some new buttons, I quickly set them up with text only and make them look nice later (I am falling behind… :roll_eyes:). Toggling buttons and sliders can also be set-up on the control surface.

The biggest downside to using Touch Portal on an iPad is the lack of tactile feedback. On an iPhone you can optionally activate haptic feedback, but let’s face it; there isn’t that satisfying, button pressing feel with Touch Portal like you would get from a physical Stream Deck. I’m okay with that; some would find that a show stopper.

You can use iOS or Android devices for the control surface, while the host app where you create the various panels is available for Windows or macOS. There was a hiccup when Monterey came out but the developer corrected that fairly quickly and has been updating steadily since then. Pricing is reasonable and is not subscription based, although it would be okay with me if he went to that model. I think there is a lot more value in the Touch Portal solution than the Stream Deck App (which is subscription based).

It’s a highly flexible control system that provides a ‘Stream Deck-Like’ experience. If you have a spare tablet or old smart phone lying around, Touch Portal may be worth a look.

4 Likes

Wow, very interesting since

Touch Portal runs on Android 4.1 and up and on iOS 9.3 and up.

I might finally get more use out of my old iPad or iPad mini.

I’m going to be in the centre of Dallas in late March and highly inclined to buy the XL (having the 6- and the 15-button ones already). I won’t have a car. (Backup scenario is near Poughkeepsie early April.)

I have two questions - that I hope others will find relevant:

• Who in such a city centre environment is likely to carry a Stream Deck XL?
  • As I (hope to) travel a lot (again) any tips on how to travel with a Stream Deck (XL)? Pouches, etc?

Best Buy or Target, you can pre-order so the store has it ready for collection. But don’t forget Amazon can also deliver to an Amazon locker for you (aim to have it arrive mid-end of your trip, if you aim for it to arrive at the beginning of the trip then Amazon will magically give you amazing service and deliver it 3 days before you arrive resulting in it being returned to Amazon before you can pick it up!).

If you’re not looking to travel with the stand (which is not foldable and takes up quite a bit of space), or don’t mind having that in a separate bag/pouch, I’d recommend looking for a 2.5" harddrive case, it will comfortably hold the Stream Deck XL, as well as the cable (or a different cable which is coiled and springy) and likely some other things (1TB SSD, or similar?). Fortunately, those are very cheap and easy to come by on Amazon.

For reference, here are the dimensions of the Stream Deck XL without the stand:

• 18.2cm wide (7" 5/16)
  • 11.2cm tall (4" 3/8)
  • 3.7cm thick—though I’d allow for 4cm as that’s not including the buttons (1" 5/8)

Apologies to everyone for mangling the inches and fractions, I never use them!

3 Likes

That’s because they’re dumb. :wink:

I wouldn’t have thought about the hard drive case for portability. That’s a great idea, thanks!

1 Like

That was my tune for over a year. I finally bought one a couple of months ago and I use it way more than I expected. In fact, you couldn’t pry it away from me now.

Two thumbs up for Button Creator. I’ve been using it for a couple of months as well and it is terrific, I’ve used it for every button I’ve made on the Stream Deck. It’s so easy and fast, and all of my buttons have a consistent, clean look.

Hi Gang,

In the streamdeck episode I think @MacSparky was talking about having custom scripts for going in the right folders in Mail App on the Mac. While I managed to do this by adding those folders (SaneLater, SaneNews, Sanebulk…etc) to the favourites and using ⌘+ numbers, I think the script version is a much better approach. Can you guys share links or guide me in the right direction? Thanks:)