628: Stream Deck Power Users

Cool. Thanks!

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Thatā€™s an interesting idea. Iā€™m fuzzy on where those all live ā€“ do you have separate repos? Or is there a way to have one repo with files from disparate locations? (I only know how to turn a whole directory into a repo, and then selectively include or exclude files via .gitignore.)

The way I (and I think a lot of other people) do it is:

1. Make a repo
  2. Stick all of your dotfiles/configs/etc into said repo
  3. Symlink/copy those files to their expected locations (I had a script for this although I think it is outdated by now)

Essentially, ā€œmaster copiesā€ go into the repo and everything else is a ā€œshadow copyā€.

2 Likes

Got it. Clever. I might do the opposite: make a repo, then run recurring cron jobs to copy and make sure the repo stays up to date. Or maybe better, make the repo the source of truth and copy to the right locations. I already do something similar with crontab on one machine ā€“ I discovered the hard way that cron -e is one easy typo away from cron -r

That is exactly what I do!

4 Likes

You boys and gals cost me more $ :triumph: Couldnā€™t resist and bought myself a stream deck.

1 Like

Looks like Adorama has the Stream Deck XL on sale today (5/11/22) for $150+tax, which seems like a good price: Elgato Stream Deck XL Keypad with 32 Customizable LCD Keys 10GAT9901

1 Like

I just heard and now Iā€™m on here looking for talk about it.

Thanks for posting this. I bought it and it arrived today. Finally diving in!

2 Likes

Hey Steven, did you ever get this working?

EDIT: hacked together a little solutionā€¦ basically Stream Deck multi action.

1. Press button: CMD + / (opens TextExpander search)
  2. Input text: Textexpansion

Not lighting speed but works for what I want!

I really want a Stream Deck, butā€¦ I donā€™t use Keyboard Maestro and donā€™t have the headspace to start learning it. Is it possible to programme Stream Deck actions without needing to use an ā€œexternalā€ workflow app? E.g. if I want a button that opens a website and positions the window to the left of the screen (I already have Safari and Moom), is that possible without Keyboard Maestro?

If I can programme most the things Iā€™d like from within Stream Deck then I might be able to justify the purchase, but if I need to learn to use another app in addition to the deck I think Iā€™m better off leaving it be!

Iā€™m fairly new to Stream Deck but i just did a quick google on moon and stream deck and there is a plug-in to activate different profiles. What exactly are you hoping to do with it?

Stream Deck offers you to create ā€žmulti-actionsā€œ that can perform multiple steps in a workflow like opening several apps and performing Keyboard Shortcuts. And if you use an app like Magnet e.g. itā€™s easy to move windows to certain positions on the screen - all without using Keyboard Maestro.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can try the Stream Deck App free for 30 days and see if it meets you needs.

Good luck and have fun!

I think I want to do what @JensV has outlined - press a button and have ā€œmulti-actionsā€ take place. E.g. I have several websites I use a lot, and I have a tendency to put them in a specific location on my wide screen. So a button that opens that website and positions the window on the left of the screen would be great. (Currently I open Safari > open the bookmark > click the moom button to move it to the side I want.)

Itā€™s worth pointing out (as a fan of StreamDeck) it only has a limited number of actions. Certainly compared to Keyboard Maestro, Better Touch Tool, and even Applescript.

Having said that you can do things like keystrokes. So an app that does the things you want can often be automated using StreamDeck.

I would also say BTT and Keyboard Maestro arenā€™t hard to get going with for basic stuff. You can skip the advanced stuff and still get plenty of value out of them in combination with StreamDeck.

Iā€™ve found Keyboard Maestro actions to be the way to go, even for actions Stream Deck or a Stream Deck plugin ostensibly provides. I only use native Stream Deck actions for simple app opening/focus (e.g. my Slack button.)

I feel itā€™s worth sharing this tweet from the developer of Better Touch Tool:

I canā€™t wait to play with this, but I think itā€™ll increase my Stream Deck usage even more.

7 Likes

Keyboard maestro allows me to build steps that read like plain English. It certainly doesnā€™t look like JavaScript which can look mind numbing to an average Joe like me.

Iā€™ve yet to use the full power of its scripting language. But Iā€™ve been able to learn on the go. When I want something automated, I can figure out what commands are needed and learn them on the way.

Over time, Iā€™ve built a very small collection of macros that I use daily.

You can also let KM record your actions. Tweak them as needed.

And make you buy that second pedal? :slight_smile: