Apple September Event: what you guys ordering?

same, I just lost my left AirPods down a drain as I was running and trying to double tap with cold hands. I was going to get the Beats Fit Pro but the extra $100 (here in Australia) for the new AirPods may be worth it in the long run (accidental pun!)

I had the AirPods Pro, but developed an allergy to them. :frowning: I passed them on to a family member and eventually got myself a pair of AirPods 3, and now we’re both happy.

For running, I recently replaced a set of Jaybird Vistas with the Beats Fit Pro. The Beats are fantastic. They stay securely in place, and have the same easy device switching capabilities as the AirPods Pro. Noise canceling is good, too.

2 Likes

I’m with you on this :blush:

So incredibly pleased that nothing caught my eye this year, and that my iphone 13 pro still completely satisfies. (Especially pleased as my “upgrade-itis” is currently hitting my audiophile habit).

2 Likes

Ordered a pair of the AirPods Pro 2, and a couple of the braided bands. Will likely get an iPhone 14 Pro in January.

iPhone 14 Pro Max black 256 - my first iPhone since the 3GS!

Series 8 Watch silver stainless 41 with silver Milanese band

Well that seals the deal for me. My son has the same and thinks they are great. Thanks for chiming in. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m hoping there is an October event with the IPad Pro and large HomePod!

1 Like

I am with you as well here! I am looking towards a new Mac Studio (Or a MacBook Pro) Max processor loaded up in the spring. My work has me in front of this machine for quite a bit of time during the day, so the phone is not nearly as important to me.

Either you were on Android or you have zen-master levels of patience…

1 Like

Lol, no one is that patient. :grin: I have since had the Samsung Note 4 and Note 8, the Pixel 4 XL, and the Pixel 6 Pro. All of them absolutely fantastic phones. There are things I will miss about Android and especially about the Pixel. But iOS is catching up quickly, and Apple’s hardware is unmatched. Apple is a hardware powerhouse. What a brilliant move the change to Apple Silicon was!

But what made me switch is the fantastic community of developers for the Mac. All the automation, productivity, and utility apps that make the Mac so enjoyable to use. It started for me with my MBP M1 16, and now I want to be on the entire ecosystem. After building four PCs over the last dozen years, I will have a Mac desktop before the end of the year, either a Mini M2 or the Studio. Then I will be completely on the Apple platform.

Mac Power Users is a perfect example of what I love about the Mac, both the podcast and this forum. I am looking forward to the synergy of all my devices at work and home being connected, and to being part of this community.

5 Likes

I’d like to trade up my Series 6 for either an 8 or Ultra, but want to see real hands-on reviews by Ultra owners before making that decision.

Battery is bar far the biggest concern for me, and while I find Low Power Mode to be interesting, I’d rather not turn off some of the best features of AW on a consistent basis just to save battery life. This makes the AW Ultra particularly appealing to me, though I don’t engage in extreme sports or anything close to them.

I would have gotten the Ultra if my wrist were bigger (the 45mm is already too large for me). It seems great - modern, long battery life, light weight for its size - and is priced very well.

1 Like

Extremely well priced! If it was more expensive I wouldn’t event be considering it at this point :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still happy with my iPhone XS and Watch 5, but will be getting the Airpods Pro 2 since my current Airpods (2, non-pro) recently died – dead battery in the one.

Will have to wait a while for it to show up for sale here in South Africa I suspect.

Tim,

I think Apple’s Emergency SOS Via Satellite system is a great new feature and will likely save lives. However, I’ve found that it does not have enough features for me to give up carrying a very small Garmin InReach Mini satellite communicator when I’m hiking in areas with no cell coverage.

If you want to know more about this, you might be interested in my post, “Apple Emergency SOS Via Satellite; A Replacement for my Garmin InReach?

1 Like

Thanks for the link, @Jeagar52. I think there’s still a place for dedicated devices that are fine-tuned to their intended purpose. In my case, the upcoming satellite features of the iPhone 14 will likely be adequate. And it’s a device that I’ll be taking with me pretty much everywhere. The best satellite radio is the one that you have with you.

Your blog post echoes the thoughts I had while watching the announcement, a minimum viable product that will likely be enhanced over time. A feature that has value now, but not one which will replace my Garmin inReach.

I have to agree the emergency satellite feature isn’t enough to replace a dedicated device. An iPhone battery is just too limited for many situations. But it appears this feature is going to be widely available going forward.

1 Like

Tempted by the AirPods Pro as the batteries in my original AirPods gave up the ghost sometime last year. But I also need to replace my iPad Air 2 and for some reason I thought it’d been around longer than this past Spring, so I was hoping for a new model to be announced (obviously I’m wrong about that).

So it will likely be nothing.