Big Sur macOS 11.2 released

Release notes:

macOS Big Sur 11.2 Update 11.2 — Restart Required

macOS Big Sur 11.2 improves Bluetooth reliability and fixes the following issues:
• External displays may show a black screen when connected to a Mac mini (M1, 2020) using an HDMI to DVI converter
• Edits to Apple ProRAW photos in the Photos app may not save
• iCloud Drive could turn off after disabling the iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders option
• System Preferences may not unlock when entering your administrator password
• Globe key may not display the Emoji & Symbols pane when pressed

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices. For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Howard Oakely reports this is a 3.25 GB package

1 Like

Hoping my headset starts auto connecting again…

1 Like

Just about finished installing—that is a BIG update in terms of the size of the download.

3 Likes

I’m happy to see that macOS 11.2 has arrived!

I’m hoping it solves some issues that I’m having with my M1 MacBook Pro, including an intermittent issue with Share Screen on Zoom (participants sometimes see a black or frozen screen when I’m sharing my screen) and an issue with my HDMI-connected screen (the colours are distorted when waking from sleep).

I’ve downloaded and installed the update on my Intel Mac, but the download is consistently failing on my M1 MacBook Pro (which is on the same network).

Is anyone else having this problem?

1 Like

Additional update from Howard Oakley, with details on what changed in 11.2

Of interest to Little Snitch users:

Apple lists separately changes aimed at enterprise customers, of which one is important for a great many using software firewalls and more: Network Extension Content Filters can now monitor network traffic from Apple’s own software. This is an important change for those using Little Snitch and similar products, as it means that Apple’s code no longer goes unmonitored.

Update: After numerous attempts, I finally managed to download and update macOS 11.2 on my M1 MacBook Pro.

I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence, but the download completed successfully over Wi-Fi. Previously, I was attempting to download the update over Ethernet (using my Anker PowerExpand 8-in-1 USB-C hub).

3 Likes

No problems here updating an iMac and MBA M1. Downloaded both using Wifi.
It’s a big download (3.5GB) and it took more than I expected to finish the update process on both machines.

AT LAST the Bluetooth problems have been solved. I was tired to plug a keyboard in just to log in. Now macOS recognizes my MX Keys at login just fine.

2 Likes

Bluetooth issues fixed… wifi issue seems to back.

You win some, you lose some :joy:

most importantly, will my sideloaded apps still function? :smiley:

Hallelujah, 11.2 solves my recurring Bluetooth problems on M1 Mac with Logitech MX 3 mouse and Logitech Craft keyboard. And 11.2 seems to have eliminated the periodic black out of my external monitor when connected via HDMI and Apple Thunderbolt-to-HDMI adapter.

3 Likes

install went smooth on my M1 Mini, about an hour for everything. BT (so far) seems better!

downloaded and installed last night. Everything seems to be good so far.

1 Like

hope this fixes the email search issues!

TIL (actually yesterday):

If you use softwareupdate to download this update, such as:

softwareupdate --install --all --include-config-data --restart --force

It will:

1. Show you the 11.2 update
  2. Download the 11.2 update
  3. Reboot your computer (--restart --force does that)
  4. NOT INSTALL THE UPDATE.

After trying this 2-3 times, I asked one of my Mac-admin friends about this.

TurnsOut™ that Apple has:

• deprecated softwareupdate
  • made sure that it no longer works (some things are “deprecated” for a long time but continue to work for years)
  • not done anything to prevent it from downloading gigabytes worth of downloads that it is no longer allowed to install
  • not supplied Mac admins with another way to do it

So if you manage 50 Macs that all need to update to 11.2, you have to log in to the GUI on each of them, either physically or via screen sharing.

:man_facepalming:

Some days you really have to wonder what the hell Apple is thinking. This is a minor inconvenience for me, but if I was a Mac admin, I would see this as yet another pointless change that Apple has made which makes life harder for people who try to help some of Apple’s biggest customers.

SMDH

1 Like

Oh no! This makes no sense at all. Can Apple Configurator fill this role or is it just for iOS?

I do not think so.  

I updated with softwareupdate. Worked. Softwareupdate itself is not deprecated, only certain flags (–ignore). I used: softwareupdate --install --restart --all

1 Like

“Restart required” is gaslighting me. It didn’t solve my M1 MBP restarting in its sleep.

I had a similar experience when BusyCal offered an update today. It did the usual thing, made me quit the app, downloaded it, installed it, then explained I couldn’t use it because my license period ended on 31 Dec 2020 and would I like to pay again or download the old version? I will just delete it for that.

FWIW, the 11.x man page of softwareupdate lists only five commands

--list
--install (with four args: --recommended --restart --all and item (to choose from the --list output))
--download
--schedule
--help
1 Like