Big Sur update today

Yup got three of those errors during download

Phewww, thanks was wondering how Teams was dealing with the update

Uuuuuggggghhhhhh come on MBAdorable!!! Oh, and I know the screen needs dusting :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Most annoying thing for me so far is the fact that notification centre is linked to the clock.
I use ‘the clock due’ to time zone stuff.

You can’t hide the time in either, only the date so I end up having 2 lots of the time in the menu bar

I’m on Big Sur beta - I’m struggling to find the right steps for what I need to do.

What’s the best way to get back on the regular release track? Should I downgrade first or do you know if it is okay can download the regular Big Sur and just install it as is?

I did this last year macOS Catalina updates after leaving beta

1 Like

Sidecar is not working for me. That isn’t too big an issue. I am using two monitors already.

1. Go to System Preferences » Software Update.

2. On the left there will be a note about your Mac being in the beta.

3. Click it and you can remove that beta profile from your Mac.

4. Download and install Big Sur from the Mac App Store.

2 Likes

Just updated.

Messages won’t run now on my MBP!

Managed to lock-up Safari by browsing Facebook. I need to spend less time there; but…

:frowning:

–Tim

Perfect! A Mac that won’t access Facebook! :grinning:

On the other hand … I would like to run Messages :worried:

2 Likes

Well, without warning (after a few reboots), it runs messages now. … We’ll see if I can get Safari stuck again. :slight_smile:

Well, look on the bright side… your experience was a helpful warning to others. :grin:

After seeing all the implosions yesterday, I waited until this afternoon and downloaded and installed Big Sur with zero problems in about 45 minutes.

It’s a great upgrade, everything seems very smooth and fast.

2 Likes

My progress bar is stuck at the about the same point, but I have no text on the screen

Turns out that the installation had finished, but it got stuck booting afterwards. I reset the PRAM (or whatever it is called now) and reset the SMC. Everything is fine now.

If anyone needs even more on Big Sur after reading John’s review, the Ars Technica review is pretty nice. It takes more of a historical slant (Siracusa’s Mac OS X 10.0 review even gets some link love).

1 Like

Works great for me @jahala:slight_smile:

1 Like

After some days with Big Sur I just stumbled upon an unexpected issue: I mount several shares on my Synology using SMB.

The mounting process is very, very, very slow. I switched to AFP for the time being.

Apparently, there had been some issues back in September with the beta:

It still does not work as good as it has in previous MacOS versions (for me at least)… :blush:

The beta is working for me.

Big Sur is running smoothly and feels snappier! The UI is fantastic and love all the little details that are so Apple.

2 Likes

I wonder if Messages didn’t work for me (initially) because it was re-indexing the “database” for the improved messages app/improved search(?).