Farewell to Evernote

Apparently still very popular amongst “muggles and the lesser nerds”. Over 200m active users. Here’s an interesting read:

and some further stats:

2 Likes

Just install the version on the page I linked to. Select all notes, and export them. I’ve exported several thousand notes in a few minutes this way.

We don’t have a roach problem. Occasionally silverfish, but we have an exterminator visit regularly.

[rimshot]

1 Like

Uh oh. What problems have you had with Day One?

250 million customers?

Maybe Elizabeth Holmes is on their board of advisors.

1 Like

I was a die-hard Evernote user through 2017 or so, but performance, sync, and search bugs drove me away.

For the past couple of years I have been down on “everything bucket” apps. Choose apps that are best at what they do, and use them together. That’s your everything bucket.

And even when I was a die-hard Evernote user, it sometimes required contortions for me to make it work. I use a lot of Word documents in my work. Evernote is just not conducive to a document-centric way of working. Also, I use a lot of folders, and never quite adapted to the all-tag way of life.

Lately, I use DevonThink for much of what I formerly used Evernote for — even though I’m hesitant to give them a full-throated recommendation, because I’m aware of reports of data loss. So far, I haven’t had any problems with data loss.

2 Likes

I really didn’t like the move from Day One to v2 when they nixed iCloud/Dropbox support for their own disastrous sync service that wasn’t even encrypted at first. And there was no way I would trust them with my most personal thoughts/feelings/experiences … and Export was really a nightmare as well as I was only able to export everything into one big file :pensive:. But thanks to some automation with Keyboard Maestro I was able to separate that one file in Ulysses into separate ones again :blush:. And while I miss certain functionality from Day One I’m still happy with Ulysses.

1 Like

I’ve been using Day One for 10 years, and recently when I tried to export to DEVONthink for indexing, I was discouraged with the difficulty.

I have continue using Day One and have not been motivated to tackle the export problem.

Evernote taught me the value of using open document formats, or at least making your information easy to export — neither of which Evernote is good at.

From a user perspective, the problem is there’s always a trade-off. Open data formats limit features, and rich features can make information harder to export.

1 Like

So true … I still miss how easy it was in the beginning to get things into Evernote and eg never think about OCR and that stuff. With DEVONthink I have to make sure it’s OCRed and I feel like struggling every time I want to clip something into DEVONthink whereas Evernote was like fire and forget :blush:.

At the same time, by now I really value my peace of mind knowing my data isn’t locked into something I may dislike tomorrow :smirk:. And having limited options/functionality due to open formats helps with my feeling of overwhelm :blush:.

1 Like

too late now! my renewal would have come through today so I cancelled the account 24 hours ahead. No worries. I got everything I need and it is in a nicely structured database in Devonthink now.

My next problem is to see how I can export screenshots from Cleanshot’s cloud.

1 Like

What do you use on iOS in place of Skitch? I’ve been looking for alternatives as well, and with the SetApp subscription CleanShot looks like a. Good option but it’s not on iOS.

I use the iOS built in screenshot capability, after which I can annotate with an app. I generally use one called TitleFx for this purpose.

I happily got everything out of Evernote this year. Everything! I used the Legacy App as @quorm noted. Get that app now and keep it safe. Then used Yarle to get everything into Markdown files. Just copied the whole thing into Obsidian and now everything is there, including all images and PDF’s I previously stored. So easy and love having everything in one place.

3 Likes

You can open export from Day One in Bear. Then each entry from Day One will be created as own note in Bear. Export all notes as Markdown or what format you prefer and move into DEVONthink.

3 Likes

I’m not a GitHub user …. Any, frankly a little intimated :slight_smile: can anyone walk we through this to get my Evernotes to Markdown ? Thanks !

Another former Evernote user here; April 2008 until just recently. Subscription came up for renewal earlier this month, and it didn’t make the cut. Fond memories, but time to move on.

My exit strategy was uncomplicated— after futzing around with AppleScript solutions and doing some exports via Bear to retain creation dates, I dumped the bulk of my archive via HTML to Dropbox and let my account slide into “free” status…

I wrote a comment a few years ago in the thread [Time to rip off the Evernote bandaid - can you help me to chose my new "Evernote"?], which seems applicable here.

Like @MitchWagner, I was and remain very much down on “everything buckets.” I abandoned using them for the reasons quoted in the article I posted in that linked comment. As a footnote, I’ve found that my move away from everything buckets has been highly successful for me in the following ways.

• it has enabled me to organize my information better and more easily;
  • it has allowed me more easy and efficient access to the information;
  • it has enabled more efficient “capturing” of the information;
  • it has provided better contextually useful ways of accessing my information; and
  • it has enabled me to have access to more powerful tools that are designed to work with the specific type of information that I’m maintaining, rather than watered-down generic tools that are designed to work on everything.

The linked Alex Payne article has moved. Here is the updated link: https://www.al3x.net/blog/2009/01/31/the-case-against-everything-buckets

3 Likes

Ditto. I’ve also kept a free/local copy of Evernote “for old times’ sake” even though everything is moved into DevonThink. But I still use and love Skitch in both macOS and iOS iterations. :heart:

I’d like to hear more about the multiple apps you use to replace Evernote. I’m feeling like even my dependence on DT might be too many eggs in one basket. Or, um, bucket.

As I said earlier, I walked away from Evernote in 2017 or so. But a year or two before then, I found a way to determine when you started using the service, and reminded myself I started using EN within days of the public beta!