IOS 12 Public Beta is Released!

… and installed whilst sat on the toilet before going to work.

Don’t known if it’s slight of hand - or a tweak to animations. But everything feels faster and the gboard is flying. Far fewer errors.

Recommended for those who don’t make there living off the iPhone. It’s still a B E T A.

2 Likes

iOS 12 public beta is here! I’m going to install it on my iPad this evening. Can’t be worse than iOS 11 on that thing.

iOS 11 works fine on the iPhone but the iPad mini 2 is ridiculously underpowered.

I love how it fades out into the home screen when pressing the home button instead of doing that zooming over thing. Feels faster and more magical!

Oh and my new favourite game is MeMojiiiiiii

I have an iPhone X and its running better and faster than it did with iOS 11.4. I cant believe how stable it is for what is technically a second beta

2 Likes

How big is the download?

For me it was a 5,xx GB download, which is a notch more than previous iOS beta downloads

Just took the plunge and installed it on my iPhone 6. So far, so good - no hiccups, seems faster and smoother. I am pleased at one new feature for us old device users: in iOS 11, the text-selection trackpad mode was only available via 3D Touch, which the 6 lacks. In iOS 12, you can hold down on the space bar to trigger that mode on any device.

1 Like

Put it on my iPad Air 2. Does the notification grouping work? Didn’t seem to work yet for messages. Maybe a setting? Trying the Bedtime mode to see how that is.

Now I’m done with a business trip decided to put it on my iPhone X and iPad Pro. Amazed at how slick it feels, especially on the iPhone. I’ll be using CarPlay today so hoping I don’t get any glitches.

Notification grouping does work though it seems sometimes it doesn’t!

Has anyone else found an issue with their phone screen being super-sensitive to touch? At least twice today, while talking on the phone, the pressure from my ear turned the speaker on. Quite a blast when you’re not expecting it! I’ve never had this happen before, on any iPhone (including this one before the update).

I am running the iOS 12 public beta on an iPad Pro 10.5. When the final version is released to the public this fall, how do beta testers get it on their devices? Do these devices have to be wiped and everything reinstalled? I had a problem with this the last time I installed a public beta an iPhone a couple of years ago. Thanks!

I believe you can just remove the beta profile. It should update to the release version. That’s all I have done, in the past, and never had anything deleted.

1 Like

After a few days running it on the iPad mini 2: It’s a LOT faster than iOS 11. And that’s great. iOS 11 was so slow I frequently found myself putting the tablet aside and just working on the iPhone.

But it’s not magic. the iPad mini 2 is still slow.

1 Like

As @Courtney I’ve also just removed the beta profile, and updated to the final update offered, and never encountered any issues, however, the advice from Apple support is to create a backup in iTunes, and then wipe your device completely, and then do a restore from the iOS 12 beta backup.
I guess it’s just in case you encounter any issues they advice to do a wipe ‘n’ restore :thinking:

Am I the only one experiencing problems with the Continuity/Handoff feature “Universal Clipboard”?
It works from macOS Mojave public beta to iOS 12 public beta, but not the other way around?

Not having a problem with that, but GPS on my iPhone X has basically gone AWOL. :frowning_face:
Andrew

1 Like

Same, back to iOS 11

I don’t have CarPlay myself, but I’ve heard from several people that it works. Also, turn-by-turn is supported in more locals in var play, so if you live somewhere were your phone could do TBT and CarPlay couldn’t, it may well do so now.