iPhone Homescreens!

What can I say? I’m a folders guy. I tend to collect apps and keep them even if there’s one feature that they have that I can use and that’s better than another apps. It’s the benefit of Apple’s common databases: contacts, calendar, email, etc. There’s obviously no particular organization, everything is just where I expect it to be or I grab it via Spotlight Search.

I try to keep badges to a minimum. Right now, just VIPs in email, Omnifocus due today, and that dang Facebook Page Manager app that always seems to have a notification.

Your screen shows we made some similar choices. Reassuring… I think.

Messing around with colors:

3 Likes

What do the three dot and star folders mean?

I just used those instead of having to come up with an appropriate name.

On that shot, the single star is for games, the dots are generally utility type apps and the asterism (three stars) is for non-utility apps.

I’m finding that I prefer to organize my phone homescreen into three tiers:

1 - apps on home screen
2 - apps on first page of folder
3 - apps buried further in folder (and accessed via search)

How can you live with all those red badges haha! I would be crazy!! :slight_smile:

Cool wallpaper, Cal! What is it?

I just do. There are times the email one bothers me.

1 Like

I’m curious about your “morning” shortcut?

I see you have Cardhop and then in the dock you have the iOS phone app. Any reason for that? Do you not like Cardhop? I have seen people have it the opposite way. I keep saying I’m going to buy Cardhop but so far I haven’t, just trying to get some input.

The morning shortcut opens a perspective in OmniFocus that shows a recurring sequential project of morning routine items with only the next task visible. I don’t actually know how I was able to make it, because today, when I search for OmniFocus in Siri Shortcuts, it doesn’t give me other perspectives as options to add. At the time, it was available, though.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Cardhop and use it regularly on both Mac and iOS.

I keep the Phone app in the dock so that I can easily access recent calls, the dial pad, and voicemail. I also like seeing the notification badge (missed call or voicemail) regardless of what screen I’m on.

Cardhop has more in common with the Contacts app than it does with the Phone app, offering some very innovative features, including those that make it very easy to search, add, and update contacts.

2 Likes

My home screen. Justin Maller’s version of Vader

1 Like

Cool. Thanks. I have a regular morning routine I do that goes through various steps and I have been wanting to make a shortcut to walk me through it but am not quite there yet!

Nice topic. For a month now I have switched from function/ functionality (mail/ internet/ twitter etc. ) to flow/ proces driven home screen (Shortcuts). Inspired by David Allen GTD killer app design. It helps me to deal with my phone focussed. I am not diving into email and go from the one to the other, not knowing how much work is still at hand. In stead I have morning and day closures routine and during the day I flow through the process I have agreed upon myself in the morning. For me a game changer.

8 Likes

Thanks Tim. It’s seems cool, but can you still make phone calls from it? It doesn’t actually replace the iPhone phone app?

Looks pretty cool. I wish i did something like that.

Yes, you can make phone calls from Cardhop, but it requires an extra “Are you sure” tap.

You can make phone calls from Cardhop (though you need to confirm each one), but it isn’t designed to be a replacement for the Phone app. I don’t think it’s technically possible for a third-party developer to create an app that includes all of the Phone app’s capabilities (e.g. recent calls and voicemail).

Google Voice replicates it, and you can access Contacts by giving permission. Of course, it uses a different phone number (freely provided to users) and separate voicemail account.