January 2022 Hardware/Software Sales and Deals

Courtesy of @David_H , Tot for IOS is on sale for 9.99

1 Like

There are not a ton of sales each month. I wonder if it makes sense to have a yearly sales thread that we can just ā€œwatchedā€ instead of a monthly one. I keep on having to remember to watch the thread so as not to miss out anything. Big FOMO here.

I prefer a monthly thread. The yearly ones goes way too long with all the discussions and posts around them. Itā€™s more.organizwd this way.

My 2 cents.

8 Likes

I was actually going to suggest something similar: A new sales thread for each month, but have the new thread for each month pinned at the top of the ā€œLatestā€ page so that itā€™s easy to find again.

2 Likes

I thought Iā€™d throw out there that Balance (Meditation App) are offering a free year to all new members:

Itā€™s well rated on the app store and, while Iā€™m only four days in at the moment, Iā€™m enjoying it a lot more than the likes of Calm, as itā€™s a lot more accessible.

The caveat to this is that Iā€™m very much a noobie when it comes to meditation so, while I see thereā€™s positive feedback for more experienced people I canā€™t talk to it myself.

Anyway, the linkā€™s above if yourā€™e interested!

1 Like

You know that if you ā€œWatchā€ a thread, you will always be notified (an unread mark on your Avatar on the top left) when there are new post.

Because of this, you donā€™t really need a monthly thread. Just a yearly thread, set it to watch, and you will always be notified. Clicking of the thread will bring you to the unread discussion and you scroll from there.

Iā€™m well aware of this feature. I just think that a yearly thread would become too long and disorganized, but I also want it to be easy to find the new thread every month. A pinned monthly thread would, in my opinion, be a good compromise.

1 Like

I donā€™t mean to be argumentative, but I disagree with this because thereā€™s not much discussion on a sales thread. The volume is usually low - maybe during certain holidays where there are sales happening. And, it will be easy to catch up or quickly skim through such a topic.

Case in point, itā€™s already mid of Jan and we have just 2 post about sales - Tot and Balance. If it werenā€™t for @r2d2 the Jan thread would not even exist.

+1 for monthly.
Discourse has a bookmark system that can remind you on the first of the next month, which might help with remembering to follow the next thread.

6 Likes

+1 for monthly (and thank you for everyone who takes initiative to start the thread)
+1 for Discourse bookmarks (an underrated, very useful feature)

2 Likes

I have been using it for several months and am enjoying it. Good content as the app has some ā€˜intelligenceā€™ which tailored the content a bit

Not sure if its @r2d2 that starts it each time but I noticed that every time the new monthā€™s topic is created its always given the deals tag. Iā€™ve set up a watch on the deals tag so I end up getting an alert to any post in the sales threads.

I like that its monthly so Iā€™m not going back too far to see what any ongoing deals and with this watch setup Iā€™ve done I donā€™t miss a new thread at all nor any posts that may go in it.

1 Like

Balance often gives out free membership. However, I am worried that I forget to cancel and get hit by a full (no discount) membership fee after one year. I know that I can set a reminder to cancel, still a worry for me

Kindle
Manā€™s Search For Meaning
by Viktor Frankl
$2.99

This gift edition come with endpapers, supplementary photographs, and several of Franklā€™s previously unpublished letters, speeches, and essays.

1 Like

The deal threads have been monthly for a couple of years now. It doesnt seem like much reason to change them. Iā€™m personally interested in deals and thatā€™s why I post when I find a deal that others might be interested in. I try to post the current month link in the last monthā€™s so that people will get notified easily. Itā€™s community driven more than anything

4 Likes

Nice, I didnā€™t know you could set announcements for specific tags.

Just cancel the subscription straight away - youā€™ll still have your trial period and Apple wonā€™t renew your licence unless you opt back in.

Balance yearly subscription $ is ridiculous. Who can remain ā€œbalancedā€ paying that $$$$$$$$$$$$$ :joy:

Great tip indeed. I will use this to watch sales thread from now onwards. Thank you.

1 Like

Took that offer at the start of the pandemic (almost 2 years ago) and paid (with a nice discount) for the second year. They are now offering me a lifetime plan for ā‚¬139,99 (ā€œ65% offā€):