Looking for a Read It later service

Hi there,

I am in the EU and Instapaper is now closed off for our access due to GDPR issues. Can anyone recommend a “Read it later” service that is not pocket? Ideally, I want to be able to email articles to it too or the body of an email. Any suggestions ?

1 Like

Since GDPR (or instapaper’s inability to prepare/adapt… Yet pint rest continues fine, I digress) I’ve switched to Pocket. Perfect service. And there’s a way to import from other services.

1 Like

Same issue here, but trying not to get back to Pocket nor safari read later. Any other suggestion?

1 Like

I have started using DTTG. Before that I was using Evernote, but I switched my files, notes, read it later all over to DTTG

2 Likes

Out of curiosity why is Pocket specifically excluded? Is it just that people don’t like it or have I missed some evil do on their part?

As an aside, Bart Busschots on CCATP #550 ends up choosing Pocket post GDPR.

1 Like

I found Pocket to be way to easy to be a single stream of articles and content I’ll never actually end up looking at. I’ve found raindrop.io to be an awesome alternative that makes it really easy to keep everything organized.

1 Like

I use Pocket primarily because my RSS reader app (Reeder on macOS and iOS) has a save to Pocket action built-in plus there is a Share Sheet extension everywhere else. On the downside, this makes it way too easy to add a lot of links that I may never get back to. The workaround is to have an OmniFocus task to review Pocket and archive/delete anything older than a certain age.

I may look into using DTTG if I find Pocket gets too far out of control.

1 Like

Pocket does not render properly some newsletters based on Mailchimp (e.g. MacStories). My alternative is to print to PDF and save the file.

1 Like

I address this issue with an IFTTT recipe that adds an entry to my To-do list (in todoist) whenever I add something to Pocket.

1 Like

I’ve started to get a bit backlogged in my Instapaper, but if I were in the EU, I’d save to pocket until Instapaper comes back and then just export. There’s always Reading List, but I’ve never seriously tried that.

1 Like

After using both instapaper and pocket I switched to pinboard, which has the ability to receive bookmarks by email, afaik (don’t use the feature).
It’s not a proper read-it later service, but I don’t need all the bells and whistles of pocket and similar services.

3 Likes

If you use Pinboard and want a prettier view for the articles you save, try Paperback. It’s a one-time purchase and renders web pages quite well. After reading an article, you can mark it as read.

3 Likes

Interesting service; on the Mac i’m using Spillo right now.

2 Likes

Is there any downside to using DTTG as a read-it-later service? I’m thinking of giving it a try.

I’m increasingly frustrated by services like Pocket and Instapaper that attempt to format articles into readable form. They almost never actually improve the article. Sometimes they delete text. Other times they simply swap out one set of readability problems for another set.

1 Like

Same here! While it doesn’t look as nice, I found it way easier to organize. If you go the paid route it also archives the webpages as well.

1 Like

@debbyca and @memex - thanks for the pointers to Paperback and Spillo! Off to explore and potentially reorganize my stuff now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like you I was forced to give up in Instapaper. Moved quickly to Pocket and. It looked back.

Inoreader with reeder as a client, works like a charm!

1 Like

I use Wallabag. Self hosted. You can also get a subscription at wallabag.it.

1 Like

That’s @Steve I never used DTTG before. I know a lot of users love it. Can you email docs to it?