Mac Power Users 464: Stephen... Who?

Great job @ismh! Your energy felt excited and eager to be a part of the MPU culture.

I enjoyed hearing more about you personally, and it’s nice to know how you and @MacSparky met.

I look forward to hearing more!

We’re digging him. Good job on finding not only an Apple geek but also a great guy to cohost with you.

I loved the rapid fire questions segment. Perhaps this is something you can include in forthcoming guest episodes? (Maybe some questions could be mainstays, and some change ?)

This got me super excited as well.

However, I set up the TextExpander snippet but can’t seem to get it to work when typing the snippet in Apple Mail. Can you help at all?

Tyler Cowen does a segment on his podcast called “overrated or underrated.” He throws out different items and the guest responds with their opinion of if the item is overrated or underrated, usually with a short explanation as to why. Guests can also ‘pass’ if they’d rather not answer.
I think this would be a nice addition to MPU.

Is it working in other apps? I’m using it in Things 3. Did you set the format of your snippet from plain text to AppleScript?

I wonder if an unsent message has a unique ID, which may be throwing off the script.

Yep, I’ve set the format to AppleScript. I haven’t tried with other apps as I thought this was specific to Mail.app. @ismh can you help with this at all?

You should be able to type your snippet in any app and it will expand with the URL of whatever message is selected in Mail.

I don’t know if it will work with an unsent message

I’ve had a Scansnap for several years and haven’t run into issues. The software is a little wonky but still works for me. I really don’t think David or Katie for that matter would praise it just for a sponsorship

Ah, I misunderstood and thought you had to be in Mail with the message selected, not in another app.

When I tested, this is the output I got (the link doesn’t really work):

Stephen!

So cool that you are part of the show! I too live in the Memphis area. I’m in one of the suburbs and work at the medical college. Maybe we could have a Memphis Mac Power Users meet and greet?

PJ

I wasn’t all that happy with the episode. I found it lacked focus: something Katie was really good at was getting David back on track.

That said I like Stephen on Connected so I just hope I can adjust to Katie leaving.

I actually think this episode had a pretty strong focus. It’s just that the focus was on Stephen rather than on a specific topic (which is not unexpected for the first episode with a new host).

“Hi rob, this is your iPhone 30 using the Time Travel app to set that notification for you (based on a review of your thoughts from back in 2019), BTW, your’re really going to enjoy Ep. 800!”

We may do something this fall. I’ll keep everyone posted!

I agree, this was a good “get to know you”-type episode that served as an informal handing of the torch to Stephen and was as a sort of a mid-series reboot.

Not all apps will see message:// as a full URL, sadly. Looks like it’s trying to parse it and failing.

Fully agree with this. Actually think it was much better than just jumping into an Apple related topic. Well done!

(I’d have never guessed @ismh ikes to fish :grinning: )

It will be great. We will miss Katie. It was one of the first podcasts I encountered on coming to America and at last having a Mac. You guys have been like friends to me, like neighbors I might say, and really helped my transition here. Along with Car Talk as a matter of fact, I miss that show. I thought I would share that with you. Steven will be fine.