Mac Power Users 464: Stephen... Who?

I loved the rapid fire questions segment. Perhaps this is something you can include in forthcoming guest episodes? (Maybe some questions could be mainstays, and some change ?)

3 Likes

This got me super excited as well.

However, I set up the TextExpander snippet but canā€™t seem to get it to work when typing the snippet in Apple Mail. Can you help at all?

Tyler Cowen does a segment on his podcast called ā€œoverrated or underrated.ā€ He throws out different items and the guest responds with their opinion of if the item is overrated or underrated, usually with a short explanation as to why. Guests can also ā€˜passā€™ if theyā€™d rather not answer.
I think this would be a nice addition to MPU.

Is it working in other apps? Iā€™m using it in Things 3. Did you set the format of your snippet from plain text to AppleScript?

I wonder if an unsent message has a unique ID, which may be throwing off the script.

Yep, Iā€™ve set the format to AppleScript. I havenā€™t tried with other apps as I thought this was specific to Mail.app. @ismh can you help with this at all?

You should be able to type your snippet in any app and it will expand with the URL of whatever message is selected in Mail.

I donā€™t know if it will work with an unsent message

Iā€™ve had a Scansnap for several years and havenā€™t run into issues. The software is a little wonky but still works for me. I really donā€™t think David or Katie for that matter would praise it just for a sponsorship

1 Like

Ah, I misunderstood and thought you had to be in Mail with the message selected, not in another app.

When I tested, this is the output I got (the link doesnā€™t really work):

Stephen!

So cool that you are part of the show! I too live in the Memphis area. Iā€™m in one of the suburbs and work at the medical college. Maybe we could have a Memphis Mac Power Users meet and greet?

PJ

1 Like

I wasnā€™t all that happy with the episode. I found it lacked focus: something Katie was really good at was getting David back on track.

That said I like Stephen on Connected so I just hope I can adjust to Katie leaving.

1 Like

I actually think this episode had a pretty strong focus. Itā€™s just that the focus was on Stephen rather than on a specific topic (which is not unexpected for the first episode with a new host).

3 Likes

ā€œHi rob, this is your iPhone 30 using the Time Travel app to set that notification for you (based on a review of your thoughts from back in 2019), BTW, yourā€™re really going to enjoy Ep. 800!ā€

1 Like

We may do something this fall. Iā€™ll keep everyone posted!

3 Likes

I agree, this was a good ā€œget to know youā€-type episode that served as an informal handing of the torch to Stephen and was as a sort of a mid-series reboot.

2 Likes

Not all apps will see message:// as a full URL, sadly. Looks like itā€™s trying to parse it and failing.

Fully agree with this. Actually think it was much better than just jumping into an Apple related topic. Well done!

(Iā€™d have never guessed @ismh ikes to fish :grinning: )

1 Like

It will be great. We will miss Katie. It was one of the first podcasts I encountered on coming to America and at last having a Mac. You guys have been like friends to me, like neighbors I might say, and really helped my transition here. Along with Car Talk as a matter of fact, I miss that show. I thought I would share that with you. Steven will be fine.

1 Like

Great show, but I think that @MacSparky missed a really important question. How @ismh save his files? Does he uses dots or underscore.

4 Likes

@ismh You make me feel old! I was in 7th grade when the Challenger exploded, you Whippersnapper. :rofl: I am glad you told the history into your interest in NASA. I was born and raised in Cleveland, TN, and it is great that a fellow Tennessean is hosting this show. I have worked in the space industry for the majority of my career (17 of 20 years). It was the Challenger accident that really kicked off my desire to work at NASA. Though I worked for the ISS program at JSC for 17 years in multiple roles, I am now at MSFC working safety engineering. Great to have you on board MPU, which now puts you as host on 90% of the podcasts to which I listen.

2 Likes