Mastermind Groups

In episode 67, David & I talked with Laura McClellan and one of the things we hit on was the idea of mastermind groups. I’d love to see community here get connected and form their own mastermind groups, but I also know how hard it can be to get started. So I wrote up a post that I hope will help, even if you’ve never been a part of one before: http://mikeschmitz.me/how-to-start-your-own-mastermind-group/

I’m also happy to help answer any questions people may have on the topic. My mastermind group has been a huge help in helping me in dealing with some difficult situations, and I can’t recommend them enough.

14 Likes

@mikeschmitz thank you for the article. I shared it with someone who mentioned he wanted to start a group.

OK I’d love to form a virtual MasterMind group. It’s going to have to be virtual because of my location. I’m wondering how you even get started in locating people to ask? I know what I need assistance with, and I know some of the things I can help with but no clue how to get that data out to folks I think would be helpful to me or that I could help.

I’d be willing to help get one started with Focused listeners who may be interested, but we need a facilitator - what do you say, @OogieM? :slight_smile: I’d be happy to walk you through everything to help you get it off the ground.

We also need some more folks who would be willing to give this a shot. If you’re in, let me know! I’d love to help get some groups formed. This thread is probably the best place to connect people right now, so if you’re interested in a mastermind group comment on this thread and we’ll work on getting people connected.

1 Like

I would be interested.

1 Like

I have no clue what the facilitator does, and I also know that once the ewes start lambing my time is not under my control. The ovine masters take over then. This year the legal due date is 26 April, that’s the day after which any lambs born are full term and likely to survive. I usually start doing regular, hourly or more often checks on pregnant ewes about a week before as that’s the most likely time for a later abortion storm to start and if it does I have to immediately deal with it.

Within those limitations I’m game.

1 Like

I’m interested in this as well.

1 Like

I’m interested in this.

1 Like

I tried to respond with some initial thoughts to get your opinion via message but I seem to have failed in that attempt. So I’ll put them out here and see what everyone thinks.

OK, So in for a penny in for a pound.

Here’s my initial thoughts, set up some sort of shared space, probably a google docs location. Post a “resume” of myself including what I can offer to a group and also the major areas I am looking for coaching/assistance with and then invite other people to view it and if interested add their own “resume” data. Free flow discussions (where? private e-mail list?, private forum (better for threaded conversations) someplace else?) with potential partners/members/compatriots for a bit until we get 3-5 people who all seem on the same page with complimentary skills and needs and then close the group. Run with no more than 1 hour meetings no more often than once a week or even once every 2 weeks and say up front this is a trial and a test and no hard feelings if it doesn’t work out.

Thoughts?

I think this is a good start, but even before that I’d recommend a video call with whoever is interested just to talk about what everyone hopes to get from the group. If needed, I’d be happy to host that call if schedule permits (going on a much needed vacation next week).

I’ll also add that joining one isn’t a forever commitment - you don’t want a ton of turnover, but people should feel free to leave if they don’t think it’s working out for them.

1 Like

I’d love to take you up on the offer of hosting that call. What would work for you? I’m fairly flexible but it may also depend on who else is interested.

I would be interested. I’ve been trying to figure out how to get one going for years. Basically since I first read ‘Think and Grow Rich’ (mumble) years ago.

Hi everyone -

I’m interested in joining a mastermind group, when one gets started.

Thanks!

I would be interested in participating too.

I’m heading to FL on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so how about Monday the 18th? Say 6pm CST (7pm EST, 4pm PST)?

Any possibility of doing it earlier in the day? Best times for me are around noonish either before or after, That’s after morning chores and before evening ones.

7 pm is a good time for me.

Tell you what, let’s do 2 Zoom calls on Monday the 18th - one for @OogieM (who kinda-sorta agreed to moderate :wink:) at 12pm CST + whoever else can make it during the day, and one at 6pm CST (7pm EST) for @Dudley228 and the night crew. We’ll keep it short (~30m), and come with a thought about what you hope to get from joining a mastermind group! We’ll have an informal chat about it and go from there. I’ll post the Zoom link here on Monday the 18th (when I get back).

Sound good?

6 Likes

Thank you Mike! It sounds good to me. I hope it’s good for other people as well.

1 Like

Good to go here, unless sheep happens.

3 Likes