Mastermind Groups

I LOVE that you recorded this video to get outside your comfort zone! You have to be willing to be uncomfortable for a mastermind group to really help.

I’ll also add (for everyone else, as well) - When you join a group, think about the specific goals you want to accomplish (and you’re willing to have others hold you accountable to). You don’t have to know these right away, and they’ll probably change over time as well. But there’s a lot of power in the positive peer pressure a mastermind group can provide.

1 Like

I LOVED the video!

In spite of being filmed for a movie, many political comments to state and federal officials on both local food and energy policy and doing farm tours for approximately 200 people a year including radical animal rights people trying to injure me or my animals every year I am very camera shy.

I’m mumble years old, retired from full time work about 20 years ago. Now I only work a farmers day, half time, 12 hours a day. I have spent my entire life working with genetics and breeding animals even when I was a systems engineer and in high tech. I’ve bred fancy guppies, cichlids, various species of lizards, Corriedale sheep, milk and Angora goats, lab strains of mice, fancy rats, some snakes, meat rabbits, meat guinea pigs, show chickens, meat chickens, laying chickens, meat and egg laying ducks, geese, CMK Arabian horses, half Arabian mules, Shetland sheep, and finally my current (last 21 years) Black Welsh Mountain sheep.

I’m looking at the problem of aging out of active farming due to physical issues yet I am having a really hard time figuring who I am if I’m not actively planning for breeding some sort of animal species. I can kill plants by looking at them so plant breeding is not an option.

My husband and I have no human children and spent our working careers working for government contractors on various projects. He’s an electrical engineer and hardware designer and I’m the general purpose software programmer and scenario writer.

I am trying to move my love of genetics and the intricacies of programming into making LambTracker a full featured, well supported open source project that outlasts me. I want it to handle genetic calculations, genomics data, EBVs and bloodline groups as well as day to day flock management issues. I also need to support rare breed conservation and provide tools for fast disease tracking to prevent excessive loss of life like happened in the F&M outbreak in the UK. I am also trying to make a difference in my community fighting inappropriate fracking and documenting our historical society collections using my computer skills to make archive quality digitizations of important photographic and visual collections.

I’ve been a Sci Fi fan for as long as I can remember. I learned to read on a combination of Dickens and Astounding and Amazing and the classic Sci Fi from the 20s, 30s and 40s. My grandfather taught me cryptography by sending me letters in codes and ciphers from as soon as I learned to read that I had to decrypt before I could read them. He was a cryptographer in WW II. I love both old and new Sci Fi, from Firefly to Heinlein and everything in between.

I need to find people who will guide me in finding my new place in the universe while not losing my zest for life.

I can probably provide very odd and unusual bits of trivia that might spark a totally different way of looking at a problem. I am unfortunately acerbic and not good and moderating my opinions. If you ask for an opinion you will get one. Filtering can hard for me.

I can also offer some grounding in reality, because sheep happens.

I would prefer an asynchronous text or forum based interaction with a mastermind group because my ability to make set meetings is iffy most of the year.

1 Like

Thanks Mike, Been listening to David Sparks for a while starting with Automators, then MPU and now Focused. I heard you talk about this on MPU and love that it something that is being followed through with.

I actually have done facilitation training for group work and attend a regular men’s group that is very similar to a mastermind.

I live in Brisbane, Australia and work as a Project Manager for a University. I recently started my own podcast on Technology, Personal Development and career advise with a co-host I met a student mentoring training course.

I have checked the time zone conversions and I can do 6pm CST, can you send info on how to join the call please?

I’m super late to the game but I’m definitely interested.

I’ll post the Zoom link here once I get the meeting started up, so check this thread on Tuesday just before the time (12pm or 6pm CST respectively).

3 Likes

hmm it’s 10 central standard time now, has anyone seen the link yet?

or perhaps it should really be 10 central daylight savings time?

12pm CST (It’s 11:15 here now) About 45 minutes to go :slight_smile:

EDIT: but I’m not sick this time, so it WILL happen!

2 Likes

With all due respect, I think you’re talking about 12 pm CDT (and 6 pm CDT).

CST is Central standard time. CDT is Central daylight saving time. As far as I know, the entire Central time zone in the US is on daylight saving time right now.

CST is six hours behind UTC. CDT is five hours behind UTC.

here’s the link: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/268833032

Sorry, I meant 12pm central daylight time. Sorry for the confusion.

3 Likes

Time zones are hard…

Thanks to @OogieM @DavidGalloway @ChrisUpchurch we’ll be launching our first mastermind group shortly!

Just to clarify for the late crowd (based on my mixup of timezones), the second call will take place roughly 5 hours from now (6pm CDT). I’ll post the link here when the room is live.

2 Likes

Thanks, @mikeschmitz for getting the ball rolling!

Good first call, if I can I’ll try to get on the second one too but I can’t guarantee it.

That’s why in LambTracker all dates and times are text fields.

In the telecom industry, we track everything by GMT/UTC. Honestly, now that clocks and trains run on satellite-synchronized clocks, I’m not sure if we even need time zones anymore.

Who’s up for round 2? :wink:

Thanks to @Dudley228 and Michael (can’t find your username in the list, sorry!) it looks like we’ve got the makings of our second group! If you are someone who is interested in becoming a Free Agent, sounds like this group might be for you.

Wasn’t able to make it this time, but definitely keen for future iterations. From Australia if that helps with time zone calculations :smile: