Meeting Workflow

In this post, I mentioned a Meetings workflow I use frequently. Here is a brief summary.

The overall workflow can essentially be divided into 3 parts:

• Launch Meetings Workflow.is workflow at start of meeting
  • Capture meeting notes in Drafts
  • At finish of meeting, run Drafts action to find any to-do’s, save in Reminders and then save final notes in Evernote

The Meetings Workflow enables choice of meeting from calendar and then creates a formatted template that is passed in to Drafts. The workflow gives 3 choices:

• Blank - Prompt for note title. Create basic template.
  • Basic - Choose meeting from calendar. Create basic template with note title from chosen meeting
  • Verbose - Choose meeting from calendar. Create template with meeting information including attendees and any notes from meeting request

Meetings Workflow

The Drafts action processes the draft prior to move to Evernote.

• finds lines maked as action items via checkbox character.
  • highlight in red font
  • add action item to summary section at end of draft
  • add action item to Reminders

The script for the Drafts action and the related text formatting assumes Evernote as final destination.

Glad to answer any qestions — jay

16 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

The Workflow seems to work for me, but the Drafts Action doesn’t.

Can you share what the prerequisites are? For example, does it need a specific thing to be set up in Evernote or Reminders?

I create a new list called “Work” in Reminders but this didn’t solve the Draft Action not working.

Thanks - if I can get it working it’ll revolutionise my meeting workflow!!

1 Like

The Evernote step is setup to store the note in a specific notebook I use named “. Working”. You’ll see that in the Evernote step. I’m not sure how Drafts behaves if the specified Notebook doesn’t exist. You may want to try changing the Notebook to one you use already.

Apart from that, I don’t see anything else that is unique to my environment that would cause this to not work.

Can you clarify what you mean by “not working”?

Aha! I created the Evernote notebook “. Working” and it works now (I’ll tweak the script to work for my naming convention).

Thanks again!

Glad it works for you.

I noticed one other “nuance” that shows my long standing use of Evernote. In Evernote, the keyboard shortcut to enter a to-do is shift-command-T.

I created a Drafts shortcut to do the same. It is this character that the action script searches for to flag the to-do and save in reminders.

So… as I type in Drafts, I simply begin any line that I want to be noted as a to-do with Shift-Command-T

(Maintaining muscle memory!!)

cheers! — jay

I changed the script a bit so it looks for the Drafts Tasks (on the Keyboard-Basic task ribbon), which is “[ ]” as I couldn’t figure out how to write the square

That is a more logical approach! My Evernote habits run deep, thus my odd use of that combination of keystrokes…

:clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4: - I really like this approach. Thanks for sharing… I can see this being really handy!

Do you have any other nuggets?! (Especially for Evernote!?)
Thanks Again!

1 Like

I’m glad this was useful for you.

Most of my other Drafts actions related to Evernote are in the “Append to Note” category. I have a variety of notes I use for frictionless capture of common list things (eg, restaurants to try, movies to watch, key work accomplishments, etc). I’ve been playing with moving those to a Drafts workspace, but Evernote is my “Everything Box” so not sure what my long term home will be.

I do have a few Evernote workflows I use on my Mac triggered by Alfred. Those include a similar “Meeting Workflow” triggered from highlighted meeting on my calendar. I need to write a post on this one, too.

— jay

2 Likes

I love this! Thanks. I’m a huge Evernote user. I’d say 50% of my work is done in EN everyday. So I will enjoy putting this workflow to use. On the other hand, I haven’t quite been able to crack drafts yet. Where did you all start with it? I saw David post a couple screencasts the other day that I found helpful but I don’t quite understand what people are using it for or how they’re setting it up?

Excellent. Thank you so much for sharing this!

I’m still trying to figure this workflow out. Bear with me, I’m still new to using and understanding Workflow. I run the workflow on my iPad, (using blank option). I type in the title, it opens up in Drafts. I write 2 sentences in the Discusson section, and then I add some tasks using the shortcut key on the iPad that inserts [ ] before each action item.

I then tap on Services from Drafts (new note in Evernote). A new note is created but everything is crammed into like 2-3 lines of text, it’s no longer divided as nicely as it what in Drafts.

Also, couldn’t see where the action items went after that. Didn’t see them in Reminders.

Help?

The step where you may be getting off track is the Drafts Action. When you are finished typing your notes, ie the meeting is finished, choose the action “Meeting Finish” from your Drafts Actions. This is the Action linked in my original post.

It is that action that formats the note for Evernote, parses the lines marked as to-dos and sends to Reminders. I hope this helps — jay

I don’t see that option in any of my Drafts actions. Do I need to be on the premium version of Drafts?

You need to install his action (from the link above), which can be done with the free version of Drafts :slight_smile:

@jayelevy @RosemaryOrchard So I installed the Draft action, but when I run it, this happens (after authorizing Evernote)

I then noticed after the beep and error, the title starts repeating itself in the Drafts note.

Checked the log, it says notebook not found. I tried adding a new notebook called Working and .Working still getting the same error

It might be helpful to look at the action log messages.

Go to the Trash tab and find the last draft you processed using the Meeting Finish action.

Tap on the draft to open it and then tap on the ‘i’ at the top to see detail about the draft.

Tap on the “… action performed” entry in the ACTION LOG

Tap on the Action to see the RESULT. What displays in MESSAGES?

I checked.

Script step completed.
Notebook not found.

But I have added the notebook to my Evernote.

I added
Working
.Working
. Working

Neither of these worked, is there something else in the notebook name?

Looks from the action like it is set for “. Working”.

Can you use other Evernote actions successfully?

Can you edit the action’s Evernote notebook?

I can use other Evernote actions successfully.

I tried editing the notebook and that didn’t work.

I think to edit the script I need to be a premium member.