Mojave Monday 9/24 -- will you jump on it?

I will when I get home. In another week.

Installed, but didnā€™t have time to take a look at it yet.

I jumped on it!

The installation on my iMac was just fine. No issues.

The installation on my Macbook Pro was a little scary. I started the installation on battery power (yes, I know, I am crazy). It was getting a little late at night, so I connected the Macbook Pro to the charger while the installation was still ongoing. I got the charging sound effect. I went to bed.

This morning, I checked the installation only to find a completely depleted Macbook Pro. It was only able to show me the red battery icon. I reconnected the charger. No charging sound. I reconnected the charger again. A charging sound erupted from the Macbook Pro. Deep sigh! I left the Macbook untouched. After some minutes, I dared to try to switch the Macbook Pro on. It worked. It booted, Mojave was installed. Apparently, everything is fine.

What I stumbled into, are the security measures of Mojave: ā€œDo you want to X access to Y?ā€ Yes, yes, yes, yesā€¦ Unfortunately Arq is not so intelligent to ask, it just is not able to run its backup any longer without user intervention. I will have to tweak the system in the evening. For further reference:

On a different note regarding security:

Oh, wellā€¦

The Citrix Workspaces App now officially supports Mojave. So I might update this weekend.

Despite my IT department warning, I jumped on the Mojave wagon. Itā€™s been one of the smoothest upgrade experiences Iā€™ve had with a macOS upgrade.

For the first time ever, my willingness and eagerness has betrayed me. Trying to install Mojave on a mid 2014 MBP and it stops after about an hour. The screen shows the Apple logo and a white progress bar that is about 7/8th done. And no further progressā€¦waited 2 hours yesterday with no visible signs of life. With great reluctance (and an external backup), I force-restarted and tried to ā€œwake it upā€. It restarts to the exact same screen. I was able to restart into recovery mode and restored from my backup. Everything seems to be back (other than some mail settings, but thatā€™s another issue! Iā€™m sure), so I try installing again. Same exact results. Iā€™ve been looking at this darn screeen for another hour now.

Any suggestions?

Did you have enough memory and available storage space before you started?

Is there a in-depth review of Mojave like MacStories does with iOS or the old John Siracusa reviews?

JaxGirl: yes. I am sure I met those requirements. Although, in the current state, I can not confirm it.

FWIW: the computer is still in that same state now, although it did ā€˜go to sleepā€™ (screen went off).

1 Like

It happened to me one time before and I gave up and did a reboot and then I did a reinstall. The machine started up with no issue at the time, although I can tell you I was sweating buckets.

Iā€™m NOT recommending you do this, just sharing my experience when I had an issue with my installation on my old rMBP.

I made the leap of faith, and I am happy with it.
Upgraded an iMac and MBP (which is fairly old, this probably the last macOS upgrade for it).

I think Stephen Hackett is doing a review but it wonā€™t be anywhere near what John Siracusa & Federico Viticci do.

Ars Technica has a fairly comprehensive review.

Thereā€™s a MacStories review of Mojave by John Vorhees ā€“ released 9/24 ā€“ might not be ungated yet?

With great fear and trepidation I went ahead and downloaded Mojave. And to my great relief my trusty ScanSnap S1500M works just fine. Just a tiny handful of 32-bit apps I use but I hope the developers will update them - e.g., VLC, Stuffit.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve downloaded it, but havenā€™t worked up the nerve to hit install. I still use an old version of Sibelius that Iā€™m afraid will break.

VLC 3 is 64-bit. And why still using stuffit? There are better, more modern applications that do what stuffit does.

Does anyone know if the latest version of Hammerspoon runs on Mojave?

Thanks for the info on VLC. I donā€™t use it very often. I just downloaded the 64-bit version.

Just an update (if anyone cares): I restored back to High Sierra 10.13.6 on my Mid 2014 MBP (2.8GHz i7 16GB DDR3). I did notice that I am frighteningly low on storage space (only 30GB left out of the 500 I have). I suspect that may have been part of my issue. I have cleaned out some of the cruft and may try again over the weekend with almost 70 GB of space.