Next MPU Feedback Show. Questions?

I’m working on the next feedback show outline. Got some questions?

1 Like

How about some examples of cool or particularly useful Devonthink Smart Rules and Devonthink scripts?

4 Likes

Are you still using the improved dictation in accessibility?

How is the Discourse forum experiment going?

Any changes in how you two coordinate the show (notes, etc.) over the last year?

What’s the most exciting hardware or software you haven’t gotten to use yet?

cough

If only to talk about @rkaplan’s spaceship van!

Comments/questions are always interesting at gas stations - especially when the monitors are lit up at night. Or in traffic at night.

Equally fun is thinking of responses when someone at a gas station asks what the van is. More than a few people tend to wonder if it’s a Secret Service advance van especially if I name the WiFi network appropriately. But people most wonder if I just tell them “Oh I just use it to check email” or something silly like that.

2 Likes

Overall systems for text across different apps including notes and writing and research and how it all works together.

Using Apple Music when you need to learn songs as a musician but don’t want to tart up your algorithm.

Thoughts on the future of HomePod

Thoughts on getting the most out of Alfred/Launchbar

File system setup now that iCloud Drive is multi device and can creep further and further into MacOs

Are subscriptions really a viable long term solution?

2 Likes

What free and open source software do you use?

2 Likes

Where did @ismh end up on his search for note taking apps? Bear? DevonThink? Roam?

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure the best forum to do this but an episode on FOSS for the Mac would be a good subject. There are some good solutions out there and I’m sure listeners could find something that works best for their workflows.

4 Likes

I’ve got a whole section about this. It’s been … a journey.

2 Likes

Excellent! I’ve been struggling to find the perfect research tools for 30 years so I’m with you.

Future-proofing seems to be the hang up.

1 Like

David is very enthusiastic about shortcuts, but my experience is that they crash very often or don’t work. I am not even talking about my own shortcuts but also simple ones from Apple, David, Federico, Rosemary, etc. Am I the only person that has this problem on multiple devices? If this is unique to me, then never mind, but it seems there is a reliability problem with shortcuts and is not all wine and roses with shortcuts. Is this a thing, and what do you do to fix this problem? Thanks!

1 Like

Let’s hear about the puppy!

1 Like

Notebooks (2 on macOS and 10 on iOS) is looking really good.

1 Like

Not sure yet - it does support [[WikiLinks]] now.
It’s going to be really hard to beat The Archive with a keyboard maestro script to do lookups when [[ is typed.

1 Like

Do you regularly use the Terminal? And if so, what are your favorite, most used commands?

1 Like

Yep, I use Shortcuts … but if most apps behaved as reliably as shortcuts, I think it would have a deserved reputation as a buggy mess. When it works, it’s outstanding - but it’s not exactly rock solid.

A script to do what now?

Ah, you shared this already:

Well then.

1 Like