Oct 30, 2018 Apple Event Streaming Thread

I was in the same boat as Katie and likely to have purchased an iMac to replace my aging Late 2012. It looks like they’re going to go nearly two years until the next iMac update.

I’m torn about iPad size … will probably go big.

Thanks for watching with us here today. I’ve got to go be a dad for a bit and drive to my daughter’s school.

In the meantime, leave your comments in this thread. Katie and I will be recording this afternoon about the event. My intention is to soften her up into buying a new iPad … wish me luck.

6 Likes

I’m hoping that maybe it’s a press release. From what I saw, it’s never gone 2 years without some sort of spec bump/update. I just can’t believe that they would essentially update their entire Mac line (the pros were updated just a few months ago) and not iMac … KILLING ME! :slight_smile:

This wasn’t a packed event my any means, so the fact that they didn’t mention the iMac probably means no update until at least next year. They could update it via press release sometime early next year, but failing that, we may have to wait until WWDC.

Only the mini and the air a ‘new’ according the the store

Apparently there’s a new MacBook Pro coming out with Vega GPU

What about all the reports that apple filed for new desktop model numbers? I’m still holding out a bit of hope here …

So looking at Apple’s iPad webpage, is this the first iPad with a camera bump?

Would those have been for the new Mac Mini?

Of course, they do. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From what I read, some would be, but others iMac. It wouldn’t be TOTALLY unlike apple to send a press release about new iMacs, guessing that it will be a minor update. I’m rocking the 2012 iMac (first 5K), and it’s desperately in need of upgrade!

The store is up and it doesn’t look like the iMacs received any sort of bump. It seems weird that they’d send out a press release at a different time (although I’m not in charge, so who knows). I’m pretty disappointed too - mainly because Apple always has me playing the expectations game with every other product other than the iPhone. If I had known there would have been no update, I would have gladly bought a new iMac months ago.

Yes, exactly in the same boat.

I’m wondering if the new Mac mini’s RAM is user-installable. The 2014 model doesn’t have this option, but the pictures on the 2018 Mac mini’s product page remind me of the way RAM was inserted into the ≤2012 models. Also not sure because of the T2 chip. Any thoughts?

The difference in price is quite steep going from 8gb to e.g. 32gb when ordered straight from Apple.

2 Likes

I don’t think that the T2 chip makes a difference when it comes to replacing RAM.

The images on the Apple site definitely look like the RAM is socketed (as opposed to being soldered to the logic board), but we don’t know how difficult those sockets are to get to. The iMac Pro’s RAM is socketed too, but you have to do some major disassembly to gain access.

If you can, you may just want to wait until iFixit gets their hands on one.

2 Likes

Environmentally: too bad there’s no option to buy the iPad Pro with 30W USB-C power adapter INSTEAD of the 18W option, though understandable from an operations perspective. I’ve just ordered the 11-inch 256GB model + pencil. Personally, I’m getting this iPad for drawing ability. I still find the Mac to be a much better for other aspects of cognitive productivity (including reading [delving]). But I’m also getting it to improve the design of the iOS version of our upcoming productivity app (@ CogSci Apps) —the app will ship first for macOS—and of mySleepButton. There’s a lot of extra space there that we can use mySleepButton.

Does the new case and pencil work with the 10.5 iPad Pro?

Nope. New case and pencil for the new models only. Old case and pencil for the 10.5". Take a look down towards the bottom of the Pencil and Smart Keyboard pages where it says “Choose the right Pencil/Smart Keyboard for your iPad Pro”.

Nope, new acessory only for the new hardware.

Likely not going to purchase anything announced today. My 10.5 iPad Pro, Pencil, and keyboard are all working just fine. I am in the market for a new desktop; just not sure how long to wait to see if an upgrade comes out.