Peek Performance

Clearly an A2+ AppleSoft reference - PEEK(PERFORMANCE)

So is it just me or is the only keyboard for the studio the one with the added keys and num pad? I want the smallest tiny keyboard I can find as my mouse is on the right side and I’m very mouse dependent. Worst case I’d lve one where I could decide to put the num pad etc. on the left. I still miss by switchboard for that very reason.

My only remorse would be that it’s not enough… :laughing:

You can buy the non-numpad Magic Keyboard (including the TouchID model) and use it with any M1 Mac. You just don’t get the black keycap color option. That’s what I’ve done.

1 Like

Ever the cynic, I must say I was impressed.

They also cut down on the zooming around campus and the dance numbers, which was a good thing.

Probably not buying anything myself. The space heater’s still running fine (though Monterey has started crashing again).

one with Touch ID. The other one does not list the new macs as an option

I am confident enough that it will be compatible that I’ve already ordered one. :wink:

I trided to edit the message but I can’t . the one with touch ID says ok but the one without does not.

So they’ve dropped the 27" iMac and are saying the replacement is Mac Studio and the 27" Studio display. Well, the 5K 27" studio display is only $100 less expensive than a the 5K 27" Intel iMac started at. And the combination of a Mac Studio (base model), Studio display, keyboard and mouse, all of which you need to make a complete system, costs about $4k. That’s basically a 2x jump in price over the iMac.

There is a major gap between the 24" iMac (which uses the base M1 and is limited to 16GB RAM) and the 27" Studio setup. And unfortunately my needs seem to fall into that gaping hole. Luckily my Intel iMac does what I need now.

4 Likes

Interesting that the Mac Studio has more Thunderbolt ports than any previous Apple Silicon Mac (4 on the M1 Max, 6 on the Ultra).

Also interesting:

Size and Weight

• Height: 3.7 inches (9.5 cm)
  • Width: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
  • Depth: 7.7 inches (19.7 cm)
  • Weight (M1 Max): 5.9 pounds (2.7 kg)
  • Weight (M1 Ultra): 7.9 pounds (3.6 kg)

The M1 Ultra version weighs two pounds more. Differences in the cooling system? From the presentation, it seems like the entire top half of the enclosure is fans and a big heatsink.

Apple naming strikes again. How is “ultra” better than “max”? :slight_smile:

Maybe “max” is not short for maximum but is, rather, just someone’s name?

1 Like

I really hope not. Otherwise next year we may be in for “introducing our new Mac lineup - the M1 Dave, the M1 Steve, and the M1 Leroy. You guess which one is the good one.” :smiley:

2 Likes

Posted this in a different thread as well, but seems like all the activity is here. Sorry for double posting!

This event was a dream for me; I don’t think I could have wish casted a display that was better for me than what was announced.

I ordered:

• A Studio Display with the height-adjustable stand and the nano texture display (I have a sit/stand office and the glare hits the monitor just right during the afternoons. I can move my desk around to avoid this, but it’s like playing an un-winnable game with a higher power. That sun is bright, and it moves!)
  • 16" MacBook Pro, M1 Max, 64gb RAM, 4TB storage. Thought about the new Mac Studio for a grand total of 4 seconds until I remembered I just wanted a single computer rather than my current lifestyle of database syncing hell during all my web dev projects. Been holding off on ordering this laptop until they announced a new display. It took all my patience not to order last year!
  • And I also bought one of those fancy new keyboards with Touch ID and the black keys, because I’m vain and I’m a sucker.
1 Like

PSA, if you were like me and had second thoughts about your decision not to get the height-adjustable stand on the Studio Display — according to the spec page, it can go HIGHER than the default stand, but not LOWER. My problem with my iMac was always that it was too high for my liking, not too low. So now I’m feeling OK about not ordering the height-adjustable stand.

2 Likes

I couldn’t resist the monitor, I’ve been waiting for one from Apple for a long time.

2 Likes

which one did you get? nano or standard?

Well in that case Resistence is Futile

1 Like

I’m torn. I had budgeted (in my work $ - can’t afford any of this with my money) $2500 for the display. Now I’m just $500 below getting two of them…

Sadly I’m just going to keep my 27"4K Dell as my second display for now, and maybe upgrade to two if I really like it. Hard to justify $1500 for my calendar/omnifocus monitor.