Peek Performance

This is great info, and I missed this when ordering. However, I have the opposition position to you. Unless I slouch, which I’ve noticed myself doing all the time recently, the iMac is too low for me. I used to put it on a stand I made, but that was just another fixed position and lacked the flexibility my body apparently craves.

Different strokes! Glad we have the option at least.

1 Like

I have the LG 5k monitor. The screen is good, but the stand is a wobbly piece of junk. I’m buying the Studio Monitor for what must be a better stand and the 6 speaker system. LG only has stereo speakers.

1 Like

The year is young, I bet something will fill the whole by December.

Ultra, maybe they mean Ultron?

“Ultra” because “Super Awesome” wouldn’t fit on the chip.

Lots of the app-specific benchmarks Apple uses in these kind of fly by and don’t mean much to those of us who aren’t familiar with the software. Space Explored has a nice post on NASA’s TetrUSS fluid dynamics software that Apple used as a benchmark in today’s event. (Posting this mostly because I thought @ismh would be interested, even if he’s not doing Liftoff every fortnight).

Don’t think anyone has mentioned:

Ports and SDXC slot on the front!

Always thought it was goofy to have an SD card slot on the back.

2 Likes

I am very impressed with the new crop of Macs released. I am looking for an additional monitor but I don’t think i can justify spending so much on a monitor for what I do. I cannot justify such an expense but really wish I could, because I think the monitor looks great and from what we were told, sounds great too. #gettingadell,
#refurbishedandthenmaybe

1 Like

Uhm.

Well I guess this puts a pin in it, all USB-C cables are NOT the same!

1 Like

Inspired by some of the commentary on Upgrade 397, the Mac Studio + Studio Display is not a replacement for the base model 27” iMac. It’s a replacement for the $5000 iMac Pro. If you’re looking for a replacement for the base model 27” iMac, start with the Mac mini + Studio Display. Now that will still be more than the old Intel 27”, but not anywhere near as ludicrously much more as the Mac Studio + Studio Display.

2 Likes

So I have a 2015 27" iMac and I want to say I got it back then for ~$2,300-2,400. I love the huge screen and the 2TB Hard Drive. And that I could buy RAM on the cheap and install it myself. I’m in desperate need for an upgrade. However, I just have a really hard time swallowing the massive price tag for the Display/Mac Studio set up when I factor in RAM and disc space I’d need just to match the set up I have from my 2015 machine. And I know all about the power of the machine, etc. Even getting a Mac Mini or a Laptop and the big display is going to run in the same neighborhood. :rage:

2 Likes

I’m in exactly the same place - with a 2015 iMac that I was hoping to upgrade. Was waiting for the 27inch M1 announcement. Super disappointed as this is just too much $$

:laughing:

I went on the site and priced it out. 2TBHD and 32RAM Mac Studio and display. It would be $4,500. That’s insane.

1 Like

Oooof. Yeah. Not sure what I’m going to do here - perhaps cobble a lower spec’d solution together with an LG screen. Seems like we are the minority complaining here though :man_shrugging:

I guess one way to look at it is the monitor might last you a couple computers, which over a longer time makes the Studio + display comparable to the iMac in price :grin: I justified ordering the display by sticking with my M1 Mini for now, which is more than enough computer for me at present.

2 Likes

But I’d be looking for a replacement for my 27" iMac with 32GB of RAM ( actually 40GB, but that’s another story). Can’t get that with the M1 Mac mini. I’d need a $4300 Studio system to replace my $2500 iMac to get 32GB.

Has Apple put out any numbers on the acoustic profile of the Mac Studio? I didn’t see anything listed on the tech specs page.

The 13 dB number that the iMac Pro delivered (at least when it was new) was one of my favorite features of that machine. What would I be giving up there if I switched to the M1 Max Mac Studio?

I got the standard screen as the window in my office is in front of my desk.