September 14, 2021 Apple Event Event

I’m still sporting an iPhone X so I’m due for an upgrade. :grin:

1 Like

This dang iphone pro third camera gets me every time. Like I expect to be the same as this acclaimed director with my home movies ha

edit: didn’t mean to reply directly to you @Bmosbacker Not like I needed you specifically to know my thoughts haha

1 Like

The keynote’s definitely got me looking forward to Austin Mann’s iPhone Pro camera review this year.

Since I’m not upgrading this year I’ll just have to be envious of the 3x lens.

The display and the 3x optical are appealing. I did that test that was going around and found about half my photos use the zoom lens.

1 Like

You were sure right! Much ado about nothing.

The cameras in the phones I’d like… other than that pretty useless.

Aaaand now Apple really does have my money. iPad mini, 256gb, cellular (learned that lesson with my previous mini, never going to buy a non-cellular iPad again). Decided to take a flyer on the new “Starlight” color rather than just going with my usual Space Gray. Dark Cherry smart folio. Already have a 2nd Gen Apple Pencil for my 2018 iPad Pro.

Also, they gave me a surprisingly good deal on trading in my old iPad mini.

6 Likes

Well, this was fast! Just got this in my email.

1 Like

I too have pacific blue and sierra blue makes me a bit sad. Can’t decide if I like it or not yet.

1 Like

Shocked by the total miss on Apple Watch rumors. I wanted something thinner and more sensors to compel me to upgrade, but I didn’t love the rumored images (basically iPhone shape). That said, my S4 might not make it to next year. What do I do? :weary:

I cracked the screen on my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9, so Apple gave my $500 for it, instead of costing me $699 to replace it out of AppleCare.

I orderdered the iPad Mini 256GB, Starlight (whatever that is). Super excited for the iPad Mini I’ve been waiting for!

4 Likes

Do any of you have an iPad Mini AND and iPad Pro. If so, how do you use the iPad Mini vs the Pro? I have a Pro 11" but the new Mini looks really attractive.

I have an S4 and it is going strong. Personally, I’d wait and only upgrade if it dies or can’t make it through most of the day. I suspect new design or at least new sensors are coming next year. The S7 feels like an “S” upgrade.

1 Like

I have a 12.9 Pro and plan to get the new mini–primarily for my speaking notes for presentations and reading and annotating books and PDFs.

I first tried the iPad Pro/iPad mini combo a few years ago with the 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9" and the iPad mini 4. Honestly, it did not work that well for me. I had intended to have the mini as my “out-and-about” iPad, but I cheaped out and didn’t get cellular. That was a mistake. Tethering was too high friction for me. It did see some use as a couch iPad for a while, but eventually that petered out, especially once I got the 2018 iPad Pro with Face ID that just made home button and the huge bezels of the mini 4 seem very old.

I decided to give it another go this time around for a couple of reasons. First off, I’m going to start going back to the office and potentially having in-person meetings next week. Apple Pencil compatibility (particularly the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil with the inductive charging) makes this a compelling little note taking tablet.

Second, this represents a chance to remedy my previous error and get the cellular version. That should make it a lot more useful as a device I can grab when I’m going out.

Third, I’m planning to get the rumored 14" MacBook Pro when it comes out later this year. In the past when I haven’t been able to go iPad only, I’ve traveled with both a laptop (15" MBP) and a 12.9" iPad, which is a bit of a handful. I’m hoping the iPad mini will make a good companion for the MBP when I travel (though knowing me I may just end up hauling along a laptop and two iPads).

Fourth, the more up-to-date industrial design with Touch ID in the power button may be more palatable than the home-button based design of the mini 4.

Finally, I managed to resist buying an M1 iPad Pro when it came out, so I can splurge a bit.

I don’t know if that answers your question @grs, but that’s how I’m justifying this purchase to myself.

5 Likes

Absolutely, you should spend the money and get the mini. You’ll be the coolest person in the meetings. :wink:

6 Likes

Unless I missed it I don’t think they gave an iOS 15 release date, did they?

Thanks to both of you! All of your justifications/reasons sound good to me. I’ll probably order one today.

I tried to get in on the short lived Google Glass version. Since my husband holds patens in AR we have a vested interest in the technology and also a huge backlog of ways I want touse it but I need hardware and an SDK to play with first.

Hmmm I’ve avoided looking at the new stuff. I’m still using my iPhone 8, not sure if my budget can handle it if I look though…

I’m still really holding out for second generation iMac M1s. My 2013 iMac is clearly showing its age.

FWIW I have an iPad Pro 11 inch and it’s just the right size between mini (too small for note taking) and 12.9 (too big to hold for reading) I have a smart keyboard folio but I only hav used it maybe 3 times since I got the iPad. I use the pencil many times each dayas the iPad is now mt note taking device. Combined with a combination of GoodNotes, Shortcuts and Toolbox Pro and Obsidian I can now write on my iPad with the pencil in Goodnotes, copy and text recognize the scribbles into typed text and automatically send it to a tiny Obsidian vault that i do use as an Inbox for stuff thatwill eventualy be edited and put into my rel Obsidian vault that is alos on the iPad using Obsidian Mobile. I don’t use Obsidian sync so the small vault as an inbox works better for my manual sync system. Not tempted by the mini at all. but a new phone…

1 Like

I bought the last iPad mini back in 2019 (honestly less because I needed it versus wanting to show Apple people wanted it - I therefore take .000000001% credit for the refresh) and don’t use it enough to justify upgrading it. But those colors are so pretty and the second gen pencil is so much nicer…

1 Like

I miss the days when every iPhone release was a major breakthrough and I was excited to get my hands on it right away. My iPhone XS is three years old and I’m fine with it.

Same for my iPad, which I bought last year—for a while I loved the iPad mini, and I had a 13" iPad Pro, but now I think the 10" iPad is the perfect size.

Similarly, my Apple Watch Series 1 is five years old and still works for what I want it to do.

Apple’s innovation is powerful nowadays, but it’s incremental. Not as exciting as when it seemed to have breakthroughs several times a year.

I’m looking forward to the rumored Apple AR glasses. But I don’t expect that this year or even next year.

6 Likes