These are snoozers for me: App Store award winners

I’m sure these are delightful and helpful apps for others but I found the list to be uninspiring.

1 Like

I started a thread earlier, but same here.
Nothing appeals to me.

1 Like

My apologies, I did not see your thread. If there’s another thread perhaps the moderators can simply combine them or close one of them.

Honestly would guess these type of things are not intended for the audience that hangs out here.

2 Likes

Good point ………………………

1 Like

I think they deserved their nominations. Good mix between useful and recreational, and between logical and playful. Social networks, games, iPad apps, Apple TV apps, and water-drinking apps are the opposite of this forum’s 2022 zeitgeist, for sure, though.

So you’re saying we’re a weird lot? :rofl:

1 Like

I tried using GoodNotes5 to replace Notability since Notability moved to a subscription model. GoodNotes5 has lousy text typing capabilities that makes it not so useful for me. “App of the Year”? I don’t understand that since Notability is more capable with typed text.

Also find the list on the underwhelming side. Not really sure if this is about demographics --the maturity of the platform does not entice power users any longer-- or about “Peak App Store” and everything cool that was to be created is already there.

1 Like

GoodNotes is about working with notes or PDFs using the Apple Pencil. And that is where this app shines. Their tagline on their German website is “digital notebook for handwritten notes” and I think this description hits the nail on its head. I do not see GoodNotes as a choice to create typed notes.

Where GoodNotes also shines is the presentation mode. We use it in combination with an AppleTV to present stuff on a 75 inch TV in meetings with clients. It can be a very affordable giant whiteboard. My brother is a teacher, he uses GoodNotes in a similar setting in school. A lot of AppleTVs have been sold that way - working in conference room mode.

2 Likes

Plateaus all around.

I agree that it’s great at a lot, but not typed text. I today’s world being able to import, paste or open text files and to be able to edit by typing is important.
Notability handles text much better even though it has limited capabilities (bullets, etc), but I don’t like the subscription model. I might move back to Notability for the text features although I’m not fond of the subscription model.
Cheers,
Bud