Upgrade to Monterey

Thanks!

It took 2 hours.

The thing I have always loved is being a lifelong learner and there are a few things that rarely fail to interest me, Highest on the lists are anything Mac, space (so very over my head… pun intended) and writing (mostly kids stuff but it could be anything having had prayed fervently for essay tests).

I did make a list in things 3 and in reminders (LOL!) of things that inevitably get me interested. And I add to them. Maybe one might reflect on things they were good at as kids. The talents and interests are often still there but get bogged down by grown-up stuff (jobs). No reason why one or two of those interests cannot be reignited. Interests can lead to jobs, the rewarding kind. Reflecting just means thinking about, right? I got an idea. I just pulled up Word Book (great app, btw) on my iPad . There are some terrific synonyms that will help if you are still stuck. I started coming up with ideas myself (that’s why I think it might help).

1 Like

I swear, I was just going to change the wallpaper last night before the download. I love it. But yours is quite lovely.

1 Like

I installed it on the MBA not-M1 last night, in about 90 mins. I usually do a fresh install, but upgraded this time, so that may have made the process slightly longer.

One reason for the upgrade route was that I wanted to try the the new feature to erase user data from within Monterey, which should be easier than faffing around with USB / internet installs.

I was going to play with that this morning, but over breakfast I seem inadvertently to have ordered an M1 Pro to pick up this afternoon, so I won’t bother with the fresh install till the refund box arrives.

2 Likes

Upgraded the M1 MBA to Monterey. Downloads took about 40 minutes and the upgrade itself is another 40 minutes. I don’t know if it feels faster than Big Sur but I am looking forward to having more battery life.

Aside from that, I am not sure what else is new (the features in Apple website does not impress me). Maybe this is a performance upgrade, which I am totally fine with that. It’s about time someone take one year to optimize macOS.

Is your writing available online? Link?

2 Likes

I upgraded 3 Mac today. The M1 MacBook Pro was on beta already, so it only took 30 minutes and a small download. The two other M1 Mac mini and Intel Mac mini had to be upgraded from Big Sur with the 2.6 ? GB download but the upgrade took less than 50 minutes.

Overall, there is no surprise from my beta experience. However, I was surprised / upset that Bitdefender did not work properly. It blocked the time machine back up. Contacted their tech support only to be told that Bitdefender is not ready for Monterey and sounds look it would not be ready in a hurry

Working great on my MacBook “Adorable”.

15 minute download
50 minute install

Like others have mentioned on other posts; everything feels snappier which is AWESOME!

2 Likes

I like the tab in Monterey’s Safari. But, I miss how the toolbar follows the color of the website, which is not possible unless I choose the Compact mode. Sigh!

Just upgraded my iMac 27 2017 in just under an hour, download included.

Again hit the snag on the final pass where the updater asks for the password, and it doesn’t recognize my Logitech keyboard. Had to pull out my 15 year old IBM keyboard and plug it into the USB-A port. Not a great experience, but at least I got it working.

Naturally very anecdotal at this time, but the systems kinda seems faster than on Big Sur.

1 Like

I’ll try to run a before/after GeekBench when I upgrade.
Not sure that’s a valid test of “snappy” but we’ll see.

I forgot that whenever I upgrade the OS, Photos facial recognition resets, and so, photoanalysisd service will run to reindex the faces… joy!

I am eager to upgrade but use a couple of less usual applications that I am concerned about: HyperResearch, SPSS, Finale, to name a few. Any issues with software compatibility?

I ran GeekBench before and after, and there was no a small change.

macOS ID Platform Architecture Single-core Score Multi-core Score
12 10633873 macOS 64 x86 64 1063 7027
12 10633828 macOS 64 x86 64 1072 8020
12 10633235 macOS 64 ×86 64 980 7505
12 10633177 macOS 64 ×86 64 1041 7511
11 10631082 macOS 64 x86 64 979 6910
11 10629653 macOS 64 ×86 64 982 6614
11 10629484 macOS 64 x86 64 984 6485

DiskMark scores did improve. I only ran one test before upgrading, so it may have been a fluke. For the two after, there was an appreciable speedup in both sequential and random read times.
(2017 iMac Pro, internal 1T SSD)

macOS Seq Read Seq Write Random Read Random Write Date
12 2157 2797 221 123 Oct-26 02:09 System-Volume
12 2371 2829 221 126 Oct-26 02:07 System-Volume
11 1775 2702 179 110 Oct-26 11:25 System-Volume

I wonder if the disk results are a difference between OS versions or if they’re the result of work done to clean things up as part of the upgrade process.

1 Like

That could be.
My results don’t feel sciency.

(Discourse now defeats my ....................... macro, so here’s 20 characters)

Try [](twentycharacters) instead. Discourse interprets it as a markdown link without any text.

3 Likes

Thanks!
Okay, it has to have an actual URL in the parens.

[](http://google.com)

Hmm. Not for me.

Just for fun I’m now upgrading my 2018 MacBook Air (8/256) to Monterey.
Fan is making it hard to hold a conversation! :rofl:

Predicted: 1 hour (after download)
Actual: 1 hour 17 minutes

The reflection is thinking about it but with the added benefit of what to do next time. Could be a big step but I often coach clients to take just the next step as that can help with momentum.

Being a lifelong learner is a lot of fun. In my current role I get to do a lot of reading and research (YouTube), some business development and then the roles of facilitation and coaching. Best of all worlds for me as I’m a bit of an introvert so the coaching and facilitation are fun but I can find my own space once they’re done.

Where can I find your kid’s books? I have a 4yo granddaughter who we all want to grow to be a keen reader. Happy to dig in if you let me know.

Happy to share the link. I’m just tidying up my blog as I started it prior to this chapter in my life so I didn’t really write seriously for others. I look at the posts now think: "what was I thinking?" :joy:

2 Likes

Just upgraded my 2015 MBA to Monterey. Didn’t really time it as I was doing other stuff around the house. So far there are no issues. This is my travel machine and I’m not going anywhere anytime soon so figured if it work well on the Air then it will,be fine on my M1 iMac.