Would you wear the Apple Watch Ultra to the Office?

The big holdup for me isn’t the rugged look, etc., but the size. And that’s just as it pertains to my body. I’ve got more of a lanky build, and I was worried it would look silly, so I got the regular 8 even though this really appealed to me (I liked the idea of working the big button with gloves when skiing, and the idea of customizing the action button).

As I re-read what I just wrote, I realize I probably didn’t answer your question very well, Barrett. It wouldn’t be the work setting on its own that held me back from getting it, but rather the combination of the work setting plus the watch size on my body type. If I were a bigger guy, I wouldn’t hesitate to wear it to the office (I’m a lawyer, although we are laid back compared to some firms). I might hesitate to wear it in the courtroom, though.

My plan as well, more to see how it sits on my arm than any concern about looks or style.

I wonder if Apple ever considered turning the Ultra 90 degrees? It would fit smaller arms and might be less likely to catch on things.

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

And don’t worry, I won’t wear it in the courtroom; I wouldn’t want the plaintiff’s attorneys to think I have any money!! :rofl:

2 Likes

My go to “dress watch” is a Submariner and that’s pretty chunky. I can’t imagine the Ultra being chunkier.

2 Likes

Doing an office marathon every day, the office is full of hardship and challenges, so why not?

4 Likes

Retired now, but I’d feel like an impostor if I wore an Ultra anywhere. You aren’t going to find me SCUBA diving, hiking the back country, or running a marathon. Much more interested in fall detection and time to stand warning. And I’m too old for a mid-life crisis!

5 Likes

If I were wearing an AWU as my watch, I would wear it to the Office or anyplace else without hesitation. I would probably put a more “formal” band on it, but that’s because I like those better than the sport bands (which I only use when running), not because I particularly care what people think.

4 Likes

I think there is too much concern about the imposter syndrome. One is only an imposter if one is being hypocritical and that is one’s motive for wearing anything in particular or doing anything in particular.

Many people wear watches that have capabilities that they never use just as they have computing devices that have features that they never use. That doesn’t make one an imposter. It may be, and I believe it is in the case of the ultra, that there are unique, compelling features to the ultra that have nothing to do with extreme sports. If I were to get the ultra I would be getting it for the long battery life, the big screen, the night mode, the better GPS, the warning siren (which could be beneficial in an urban or suburban setting), not just on the high mountains) and probably some features that I’m forgetting. I also think it looks looks cool. And watches are a type of jewelry. I don’t think anyone would mistake me for someone that climbs mountains, scuba dives, or runs 100 mile marathons in the desert. :blush:

4 Likes

Love that. :rofl:

…………….

1 Like

The impostor thing is interesting. My wife and I love skiing. We live in a harsh climate during winter (Canada, eh). I run 5k almost every other day, and will hike or bike on days when I can’t do that. We’ll visit a foreign country and immediately start hiking it. We are both pretty busy with work so our lives aren’t defined by this, but I would say we are adventurous people when we are fortunate enough to get those opportunities.

Despite all that, I would feel like an impostor with the Ultra. My lifestyle is not these things. These are just things I do. So in that sense, the normal AW is fine for me.

But being retired it might be “on brand” to need a bigger screen. :slight_smile:

This is what I would do. If you work in a more formal environment, don’t wear a neon orange band - get something that looks a bit more like a regular watch.

Just noting that “etiquette” - at least in English-speaking business settings - is rather well-defined, and does affect many peoples’ impression of you.

It’s fine if somebody doesn’t care - but even then it’s still useful to know what good etiquette is in a situation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I’m not sure why I capitalized Office; I can only assume that I must have been referring to Microsoft headquarters :slight_smile:

Neither is mine, but like I said above, my purpose for considering the ultra has to do with features not necessarily specific to extreme sports. That said, I may not upgraded at all, I may get the series 8, or, depending on how it looks in the store, I may get the ultra.

I’ve had the privilege of visiting Canada several times to speak at conferences. It is a beautiful country but it is cold anywhere near winter. :cold_face: I have stopped at a Tim Hortons many times to get a hot cup of coffee on a very cold day. :coffee: :blush:

I visited Churchill in February. It was -40 when I got off the plane. And by “get off the plane” I mean walk down the stairs to the tarmac, and then across to the terminal.

A brisk walk. And one that may have been Ultra worthy. :blush:

That made me smile!

……………

That’s the only reason I would buy one!

1 Like

I came across this quote once in a running handbook, and it’s been my first line of defense against imposter syndrome ever since: “The only difference between a racer and a runner is an entry form.” What counts is intention, seriousness of purpose, and doing something for the love of it. If a good tool helps you up the level of your practice, you don’t have to apologize for having it. (I have the camera equivalent of the Ultra, so trust me, I understand the compulsion to do so … )

But even if you only snorkel once a year on vacation, jog around the block, or stroll on a well-groomed nature trail from time to time, it’s still OK to wear an Ultra if you just like the way it looks.

3 Likes