Would you wear the Apple Watch Ultra to the Office?

I can’t, of course, tell you how to feel, but this watch in particular probably isn’t worth that feeling. I think that it’s really more of an active lifestyle with occasional medium adventure thrown in than it is something that serious adventurers would use.

1 Like

Yes and if anyone comments (negatively) try hard not to work with them. I can’t imagine being so hung up on what watch someone is wearing to give a second thought.

3 Likes

Yes - my current watch is a Garmin Instinct 2, which is fairly chunky and rugged watch. Do I make use of the features all the time? No. But the battery life is ridiculous - with 29 days if I did no GPS activities.

I did say to myself previously that if Apple ever did a rugged watch, I’d buy one at the drop of a hat. However, I’m struggling to justify £850 for it, when the Cellular won’t work with my mobile provider and the Instinct works so well. However, I did read this T3 article I thought was amusing, as I can see myself in the article.

Hahaha … me too. :slightly_smiling_face:

My current hiking watch is a Dakota pocket watch that clips on a belt loop, that I’ve had for over 20 years (I did need to replace the band a few years ago). I get over a year of battery life. Has a very useful night light feature. But as noted elsewhere in the forum, the second hand fell off on a recent trip, and it is not keeping accurate time. So I’m in the market for a new timepiece.

Over the past four years I’ve

• done a multi-day trek across a volcano in Iceland;
  • summited Mt St Helens;
  • hiked down and up the Grand Canyon;
  • and most recently hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

Add it all up and it was 14 days. Two weeks out of 208 I was an “Adventurer”. The other 206 I’m a desk jockey (ok I’ve done some other stuff :slight_smile: ).

So yeah, I’m that sucker … but I haven’t pulled the trigger … yet.

I am very sorry to hear this. I would not recommend Tim Hortons to anyone, save my enemies (not that I have any). Terrible coffee, always burned, very “dark,” and their only other roast option is an even darker dark roast.

Next time you are in Canada, if you happen to be in the Greater Toronto or Tri-City areas, let me know and I can give you some recommendations for a cup of joe you wouldn’t be ashamed to drink.

2 Likes

There’s a feature for the next keynote:

"The new Apple Watch Ultra tracks your ambient environmental temperature. When you experience a cold environment, the same gorgeous graphics that users loved from the Fire and Water watch faces will be used to display a detailed body map, highlighting the most high-value areas for thermal optimization.

Ultra, along with LiDAR sensors on your iPhone, can also correlate temperature readings with your heart rate, internal temperature, and the thermal insulation of the clothing you’re wearing to predict how long until you succumb to hypothermia, including which body extremities will freeze and fall off first."

I hadn’t noticed, it taste like the typical Starbucks I’ve had, :blush: which, I do not like. I did not want to say anything for fear of offending my Canadian friends.:blush:

I’ll certainly reach out to you the next time I head towards Canada, but it’s too close to winter for such a trip. I’m much more inclined to wait for the summer.:blush:

1 Like

FWIW I’ve heard the same about Starbucks. The idea being that their coffee tastes very “dark”, to the point of “burned”, because it’s typically served with a load of sugar and other flavors - so it needs to be stronger in order to still taste like coffee.

No real opinion myself, as I don’t ever go there unless somebody else is insisting on meeting up. :slight_smile:

Exactly, and since I drink my coffee black, that explains why I do not like Starbucks, nor Tim Hortons, but as I said above, I did not want to say so for fear of offending my Canadian friends. :blush:

1 Like

@snelly, are you sure you’re a native Canadian? :slightly_smiling_face: That’s how Paul Bunyan liked his coffee. :coffee: Burned, very dark. Although Paul threw egg shells in his and then strained it through his socks, which I’ll just bet Tim Horton’s doesn’t do. :rofl:

I’m positive I’m Canadian. I’m also certain most Canadians have terrible taste in coffee.

Blonde roast is the only safe thing at Starbucks for me, and it’s kinda meh.

That’s an odd comparison. The difference between an AW Ultra and almost any other wristwatch is minimal, nothing like the comparison between dress slacks and running shorts. While a co-worker or client might silently judge you on your watch, they would openly confront you about running shorts. Watch differences seem trivial. I honestly can’t imagine a single watch, from cheapest to most expensive, that would be considered ‘inappropriate.’

1 Like

This is probably sacrilegious but I think McDonald’s coffe is better than Starbucks, cheaper too. :blush:

3 Likes

It was tongue-in-cheek. :blush:

1 Like

Next time I’m empaneled, I’ll pour that out in voir dire. “Your honor, the plaintiffs counsel would clearly rather be biking, just look at that Apple Watch. I’d have trouble concentrating when he’s clearly not”. “Your honor, the defendant’s counsel is wearing a 20k Rolex. Clearly they believe they can buy their way out of trouble.”

9 Likes

There’s a significant contingent that agree with you. Worked at McD’s for 3 years, and it was amazing how many people thought their coffee was the best around.

Also gave me perspective on the “drive thru coffee too hot” story from the news quite a ways back. We would routinely have customers aggressively complaining that coffee that would burn my arm was “freezing cold”.

So I’m not sure if they loved it because they didn’t have taste buds anymore due to drinking the coffee, or if it actually was the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer it too. But I started drinking coffee when it cost around 10 cents a cup and the only options were cream and sugar.

1 Like

I see other people wear their dive and aviator watches in formal events and I don’t see a problem with that. I just switch my band to a Milanese loop for events and important presentation with clients (but I switch it to any color bands that matches their brand).

I even wore an iPod nano with a Mickey Mouse face paired with a leather band before the Apple Watch came.

I agree with your point about watch bands, very few people notice that my S6 is the gold stainless model until I pair it with the gold Milanese loop. So I’m inclined to think that the band defines the presentation of the Apple Watch more so than the case when it comes to catching someone’s eye - at least in my experience.

1 Like