64-bit Fujitsu ScanSnap app finally out

Doesn’t do me much good since my S1500 is not supported.

3 Likes

Am I missing something or is this just Scansnap Home, the “new” software for Scansnap Fujitsu has released on October 12th? I am a little confused about all those blog posts all over the place yesterday. Apparently, Fujitsu sent out some PR stuff…

When I first saw @MacSparky’s blog post, I hoped for an alternative to Scansnap Home.

I am not a happy trooper… :frowning:

If somebody is looking for Scansnap Home adventures in this forum:

(…)

Allison Sheridan covered Fujitsu’s policy of abandoning their “old” customers in a recent blog post:

I do not see the Epson ES 300w as an alternative, but Epson is definitely a brand I will consider in the future. They have some nice models. I think that it is nice that we have options out there.

Right now, I am fine with my SV600 and my ix500 and I can “upgrade” to Scansnap Home, but in only a few years I might end up with $1.000 worth of perfectly working scanners at home, that need to be replaced just because of Fujitsu’s way of doing business…

My perfectly good ScanSnap S1300 is apparently NOT supported and seems to have been abandoned by Fujitsu, along with a number of other fine models.

I’d like to hear David and Katy discuss this on MPU and lobby Fujitsu to do the right thing and update their software to support this range of still fully working hardware.

5 Likes

You can add me to the list of “people annoyed with Fujitsu.”

At home I have an ix500, but at work I use a still fully functional S1500, which is not supported by the new software.

Like everyone else, I see no reason to throw away a perfectly good scanner and spend close to 500 dollars on a new one that I don’t otherwise need.

I do hope David and Katie will use whatever influence they might have with Fujitsu, or at the least, acknowledge that while Fujitsu may make good products that get the job done well, this is not a very customer friendly policy. Although I’ve been using Fujitsu scanners for a long time, before I even discovered MPU, I too will have to take a good look at other manufacturers when I do need to replace either of my current scanners.

5 Likes

So us owners of the S1500M are out in the cold. Bye bye Fujitsu when my scanner is bricked. Your product is great but your support sucks. Besides Epson, I’m seriously looking at a Brother desktop scanner. I have a couple of Brother printers, and its support is very good. AND it updates firmware regularly.

1 Like

Has anyone -tried- this new driver on the S1500? I updated to the previous version (6.3 L70) when I moved to Mojave. This driver also didn’t support the S1500 but works just fine.

Agreed. I have two brother printers, one at home and one at the office, and I have been extremely satisfied with both in terms of performance and value.

I hate to switch from the Fujitsu, since they do perform very well (and I use the WiFi scanning at home which is very convenient), but if I have to replace it, there is no reason not to explore alternatives especially since I have yet to run into an obsoleted Brother printer, and my printers are quite old at this point.

1 Like

I second that. But to be honest, I don’t think they will ever do that. Sorry to be a bit critical, but I have a feeling Katie and David are reading this forum “very selectively’”. Despite all their disclaimers and “full disclosures” I don’t think MPU is objective when it comes to discussing stuff from their sponsors. Even if the company is not sponsoring the particular episode.

As for Fujitsu, I don’t understand why they can’t support a premium device that’s only a few years old and should have a much longer lifetime. A scanner is not a disposable, especially not the Fujitsu ones ($$$).

I agree with those above who deplore Fujitsu’s policy of “obsoleting” perfectly good scanners.

The problem is even worse, however. The new 64-bit software comes with restrictions that substantially limit the traditional concept of ownership of property. The new software apparently is licensed to only one computer and cannot be shared among computers. There will be limitations (that I don’t fully understand) regarding transferring ownership of the scanner to others, since the proprietary software is required to operate the scanner. This is discussed in more detail in another MPU discussion thread (link previously posted in Christian’s post above):
https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/does-anyone-use-scansnap-home-software/8582

The “old” software for my ScanSnap, the S1500M, is no longer available on Fujitsu’s website. This is tantamount to burning the bridges on the path to certain obsolesce of this and other scanner models that are otherwise perfectly functional. The withdrawal of the legacy software is simply spiteful. Fortunately, I have saved .dmg files of the “old” software so that I can continue to use my scanner for those Mac computers that operate under current or prior versions of macOS the support 32-bit software.

I am not likely be a purchaser of Fujitsu products again, and I urge David and Katie to reconsider recommending them.

3 Likes

I saw links to “old” Scansnap Manager Mac software for S1500M here http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/software/mac-mg32.html

But I am using newer Scansnap Manager software (6.3.70) for my unsupported S1300 without any issues. I also use this software for my newer ix100.

Pretty disappointed as well that Fujitsu has decided not to provide 64-bit Mac software for my S1300, and hoping that the new Scansnap Home software will still work when I eventually need to use it. Not loving hearing the ads for Fujitsu on MPU.

@UnderTheLionRock - I also use version 6.3.70 on my ScanSnap S1500M. To obtain the link I had to trick the Fujitsu download procedure and designate a different model number, either the iX500 or the S1300i, if I recall correctly.

The link you provided above goes to version 3.2L91, Fujitsu’s designated software for the S1500M. I was having some kind of problem with that software version (can’t remember the specifics), so I obtained version 6.3.70 (technically designated for a different scanner model) at the suggestion of a Fujitsu support rep who initially provided me with the download link. Works fine for now, at least as long as my Mac computers operate under version of macOS that supports 32-bit software.

I sent a Feedback email about this in September, and got the following reply from David on 9/30/2018. Since then, crickets:

Melanie,

I’m trying to get definitive answers before I address it on the show … but working on it.

D

On Sep 27, 2018, at 6:04 PM, Melanie Homer <melanie.homer@me.com> wrote:

Topic for the next MPU+ show — future of the ScanSnap line of scanners

If you’ve checked the Forum in the past week or so, there is a lot of discussion on Fujitsu no longer supporting its 32-bit scanners, both the S1500M and the iX500 and lack of compatibility with maOS Mojave.

Note on Fujitsu website:

ScanSnap S1500/S1500M Compatibility Status With macOS Mojave v10.14

ScanSnap S1500/S1500M does not support macOS Mojave. There are no plans for adding support in the future since the support for ScanSnap S1500/S1500M has already ended.

So far the ScanSnaps are working after Mojave is installed, but the fear is within a year or so they will become paperweights when 32-bit apps are no longer supported by the next updated macOS. What are realistic options in the event our ScanSnaps become paperweights?

2 Likes

Agreed, my S1300 works fine [sort of, sometime the end of page switch does function to well.]. I called tech support, and the told me that s1300 does not work with High Sierra. Well I told him, it is working for me. His quote was “…Oh, should not …” . So I am looking for replacement of hardware and/or software. No rush.

I hope this reply shows up in the correct post.

I was able to get my ScanSnap S1100 to work with the new ScanSnap Home software by selecting S1100i as the model.

My older S1500M does not work with the new ScanSnap Home - it says it can’t find the scanner, no matter what model I select.

I have been a ScanSnap fan for some time. I am on my second 1500 and I have a portable that I used at the office/field. Now I am working from the house.

My PC died during a report,so I switched to using the MBP in the interim, and setting up my new MacMini replacement. My X1500 was moved around and installed on 3 devices.

I was surprised about the move from SnapScan Manager to the new SnapScan Home. I got the out of licenses message during the last install. I still had three devices in my possession, only using one, and was out of licenses. Of course this is during the weekend when support is closed and there is one suggestion in the FAQs which was basically re-install. Nothing on the website about how to buy an additional license. I was very close to using my replacement policy to get a new machine in.

I called tech support and the very nice tech walked me through logging off the account on the MBP which allowed me to then install the software on my new MacMini. Scanning without problems. I will probably have to use the portable scanner with the MBP and hope I don’t lose access to it.

This new software roll out was very poor. I don’t think the test team did much testing by installing new equipment on existing users. They definitely failed on the documentation process. Thank goodness for their friendly tech support staff. The last thing I needed in this $$ transition was a brink instead of a scanner.

It is to your credit that you handled this awkward situation, created by Fujitsu’s new software policies, with such aplomb. Had this happened to me, I would have been upset. Your use case, installing the software on multiple computers despite only using one scanner, is not unusual. Even though Fujitsu’s support reps came through in the end, jumping through Fujitsu’s hoops was a hassle.

In my opinion, severe software licensing restrictions should not be applied to these types of devices because they limit the utility of the scanners for which a high price has already been paid.

I can imagine three possible reasons for Fujitsu to impose the new software licensing restrictions and other limitations:
1 - Embedded software (e.g., OCR capability) might be obtained from a third party who requires some degree of licensing restriction.
2 - Fujitsu wants to deliberately disable older, but functionally similar, devices to require purchase of new devices. In other words, planned obsolescence.
3 - Fujitsu may be planning a long-term strategy to move toward a scanning-as-a-service payment model. Instead of charging a high initial price for the scanner allowing unlimited scanning by any user using any computer, the new future payment model might restrict scanning in certain ways to permit charging for more scans, or scanning on the same device by multiple users, or scanning on the device by multiple computers.

There may be other possible reasons, but that’s what I came up with. I can understand #1, but that could be accommodated by a more customer-friendly approach. Reasons #2 and #3 are unacceptable to me.

Am I missing something, or is this analysis unfair in any way?

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned this is a serious problem. If you buy the new printer that ScanSnap Home was designed for (the iX1500) you get licenses for 5 computers. And you can buy more licenses. But if you are upgrading the software for an existing scanner you only get one license and do not have a way to buy more. This is a major disaster and I expect that David Sparks might have enough clout to get something done (he’s effectively sold lots of these scanners with the potential to sell many more) if he wanted too.

I’ve had enough peripherals render themselves useless with OS changes over the years (I’ve had home computers for 39 years and used computers for over a decade more) and don’t feel manufacturers have an obligation to support their hardware beyond whatever the current OS is. I’d just be happy if they sold additional licenses. If someone is to “blame” in this case it’s really Apple for dropping 32 bit support. Is that really necessary? Microsoft hasn’t done that.

*I agree with those above who deplore Fujitsu’s policy of “obsoleting” perfectly good scanners.

The problem is even worse, however. The new 64-bit software comes with restrictions that substantially limit the traditional concept of ownership of property. The new software apparently is licensed to only one computer and cannot be shared among computers.*

Not mentioned in this thread is VueScan App. It may help some users.

This app owes it life to scanners that lose the support of their original manufacturers. I have a copy on my iMac which was purchased many years ago. VueScan claims it is compatible with 5831 scanners from 42 scanner manufacturers. It is compatible with 116 Fujitsu drivers - see

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/fujitsu.html#scanner-drivers

2 Likes

Vuescan does not does not list support for the S1300. Has anyone tried it ? Devonthink Office can also support scanning. Has anyone tried Devonthink with older Fujitsu scanners ?