Apple discontinues 512GB and 1TB SSD 4K 21.5-inch iMacs

Just hours after officially discontinuing the iMac Pro, Apple has also discontinued the 512GB and 1TB SSD configurations of the 4K 21.5-inch iMac.

What do you guys think about this? With an Apple Silicon iMac rumored to be on the way, I’m very excited to see what ends up happening!

I was not believing it for the iMac Pro, but this assuredly points to incoming Apple Silicon iMacs very soon. The iMac Pro will probably be trounced by whatever chip are in those machines so there was no point keeping it around.

I’m looking forward to see what’s next for the Apple Silicon story. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is it just due to the global chip shortage?

Nope, these models are discontinued, not out of stock. (At least that’s how it appears.)

I hope it’s an indication that new iMacs are coming soon. I’ve decided that my next Mac will be the new iMac. Hoping for a 24” version as it’s a better size for me. The big question is whether it will have a M1 or a successor chip. I’d like to see one that addresses more than 16gb even though I’m fine with 16. To paraphrase an old saying, you can never have too much ram, too much disk space, nor too much bandwidth.

1 Like

Yeah, same. :slight_smile:

Probably an M1X chip.

This is interesting news, I’m also looking forward to a M1(+/x?) iMac, it’ll be an instant buy for me.

Could Apple be thinking in advance though? Maybe they’re trying to predict this whole global chip shortage thing.

The shortage has lasted for months now.

Okay, so is it a possibility?

As per that reasoning, no.
Forward thinking implies thinking before the fact. Here, the fact is several month old.

Good point. I definitely think we will see an Apple Silicon iMac be released imminently. Part of me is hoping that it’ll be released sometime in March, but its beginning to seem more likely that it’ll be released sometime in April (possibly at the April event). Apple has an extra month for R&D and production.

Yes, I believe this is the clue that Apple Silicon iMacs are a very close horizon. Certainly before WWDC, or then at the latest I would think. Then the last MBPs in Fall. Mac Pros will arrive later (Spring 2022?)

Based off of rumors and timelines from MacRumors…

MacBook Pros: Q3 2021 (maybe Q4 2021)
Mac Pros: Q4 2021 (maybe Q1 2021)

I’m also interested in that smaller Mac Pro that’s supposed to be reminiscent of the Power Mac G4 Cube.

4 Likes

I hope you’re right! I’m absolutely in the market for a Mac Pro. But I won’t hold my breath for this year. My money is on 2022.

I will be first in the queue for the rumoured 14” M1 MacBook Pro!

1 Like

From what I recall, most rumors have been pointing to 2021.

I will be first in the queue for the rumoured Apple Silicon iMac! :grinning:

1 Like

This one too!
I’ve been refraining from buying the M1 13’ MBP. I’m due for updates across the board :smiley:

1 Like

There’s no way that the Apple Silicon iMacs won’t be…

1. Released sometime in the next week or so through a press release (this one seems the most unlikely to me)
  2. Released sometime in April (more than likely at an event)
  3. May? :thinking: (unlikely, but who knows at this point)

Seriously, this has to indicate an imminent release.

1 Like

My money is on an April event. May would be too late before WWDC.